Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Server - Info Help Please 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechP74

Technical User
Aug 10, 2007
I was given the Sys. Admin job even though this is not my job function (I have posted this before). There are a few things that are server related that I need assistance with. I posted earlier about DNS issues and ISP changes.

We are bringing up a new server in a few weeks. The current server has SQL server running. I don't know anything about SQL so I am not sure WHY this is running. How can I find this out? If our new server comes with SQL Server how do I make sure it's configured to work like it did on the old server?

We will be running SBS 2003 Premium R2

Thanks!!

A vanilla SBS server, including one that is running the Standard edition, runs SQL. It uses SQL to store the SharePoint databases in and for holding server monitoring data. In addition, you may have BackupExec data and WSUS data stored there.

The good news is that, aside from SharePoint (if you've been using it), none of these databases hold information that is mission-critical or needs to be duplicated on your new server.

If you are also running some specialized business software on the server for whatever industry your company is in, that will probably have to be migrated.

To find out what SQL on the server is being used for, the first thing you should do is determine whether you have SQL MSDE or SQL Standard installed. If you have SQL Standard installed, you will have some SQL-related programs in the programs menu on the server. Programs like SQL Enterprise Manager. If you have the SQL MSDE, you won't have anything in the start menu related to SQL, but you will have some services in your Services list that begin with the name "SQLAgent..." and look like "SQLAgent$SHAREPOINT" or "SQLAgent$WSUS." It's possible that you have both versions of SQL running on your server.

If you have Enterprise Manager and can run it, if you drill down into the server name and the databases, you should be able to tell what role SQL Standard is playing by looking at the names of the databases listed there. If you only have MSDE SQL, you should be able to tell what is running be the names of the Services running in the Services list.

Now you didn't say what kind of new server you are bringing in, or if it's another Small Business Server. If it is, there are other concerns about migrating over to it.

Let us know what database or service names you have, and we can help you figure out if and how things need to be migrated or configured on the new server.

ShackDaddy
Shackelford Consulting

Thanks ShackDaddy

I didn't see any type of SQL related programs in the start menu. I am guessing this means we have SQL MSDE.

I did check the services and this is what I found.
MSSQL$BKUPEXEC
MSSQL$SBSMONITORING
MSSQL$SHARPOINT

MSSQLServerADHelper

SQLAgent$BKUPEXEC
SQLAgent$SBSMONITORING
SQLAGent$SHAREPOINT

Now in the SQL Server Service Manager that is in the toolbar at the bottom of my screen this is what it says.

Server: ServerBKUPEXEC
Services: SQL Server

Running: \\Server\BKUPEXEC - MSSQL Server

Yep, you have MSDE. So unless you are doing much with SharePoint, you don't need to worry about it. Once you've installed BackupExec on the new server, you'll see the same list in your Services list.

ShackDaddy
Shackelford Consulting

Do I really need to reinstall BackupExec? I was just hoping to go with the Backup program that comes with SBS 2003.

Ah, glad you asked. I recommend not using BackupExec, since the built-in SBS backup is sufficient for most scenarios that involve SBS. I just assumed that you wanted to continue using it, although I usually consider it a wasted expense.

ShackDaddy
Shackelford Consulting

Thanks for the help. I do appreciate it. I will update this link when we go live with the new server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back