Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sql server filegroups and files

Status
Not open for further replies.

baselbj

Programmer
Apr 17, 2002
JO
i am not new to sql server but never think of how it work from the inside, but now i do :)

what i need to know and discuss her is how sql server work with filegroups and file inside the filegroup.

what i need to know exactly us that if i have multiple files within a file group how sql work and how object saved to this filegroup?

will sql server save all object data at the same file in the file group or the object data will be saved in multiple files in the file group?

SQL Server will do it's best to fill the files evenly, keeping the same amount of free space within each file in the filegroup.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

My Blog

mmmmmmm so this means as partitioning but the partitioning is only controllable by sql server engine.

I'm not sure what you mean by that.

Denny
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)

My Blog

i mean that creating multiple files within one filegroup is somehow like creating partitions.

the deference is that with partitions i control for which file my data is to be saved. but in the other hand in multiple files within one filegroup sql server will control the all the operation and data will be saved in arbitrary way in side the files.

is this right or i didn't understand the concept?

Yeah, that's pretty much correct. When you setup the files SQL will strip the data across the files. If you have a filegroup which will be very large and you want to spread it across two RAID groups you create two files one on each RAID group and SQL will then strip the data between the files.

Denny

My Blog

thank you mrdenny this was helpful. some times it is better to ask some one who knows than searching the net :)

thank you again :)

No problem.

Denny

My Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back