Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Server Express 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SBerthold

Programmer
Sep 20, 2002
DE
Is there information available to help determine at what point a need customer would need to purchase the Standard or Workgroup Version instead of using the Express version?

I am in the process of changing the DBMS and would like to offer SQL Server. We are a small company and many of our clients are also small. SQL Server Express would be ideal for them, and not cost anything.

I realize the limitations of the Express version (1 cpu, 4 gb data, 1 gb ram), with the 1 cpu support being my biggest concern, but because it can run locally and on the server, a few concurrent users shouldn't have any problem using it.

But at some point, or for some "small-larger" customers with tight budgets, a need will be there to go a step higher.

Considering a certain amount a data input and reporting (ignoring record edits, however the has data a lot of validation prior to saving it) and a certain amount of concurrent users, what would be a good relation using just these two factors in determining when Express is not suitible anymore, prior to the client purchasing our produkt.

Could I safetly say that 10-15 concurrent users and 500 MB of data per year (however, at peak times there may be 300 record validations and inserts within an hour or two along with reporting) is the limit, or is it much higher, or lower? (I realise that the way the application is designed, network, server cpu/HD and workstation speed makes a big impact, but that does not need to be considered here).

What are your experiences with the Express version in a multi-user environment?

Well, then let me ask this:

Does anyone here even use the Express version in a multi user environment and if so under which conditions(number of concurrent users, number of insertions/edits done a day, db size)?

Has anyone experienced problems using the Express version in a multi user environment?

I haven't yet used SQL Express in a multi user environment, but I have used MSDE 2000 in a multi-user environment, and it has always performed very well.

The only reason I haven't started using express is because some of my customers do use SQL Server standard and I don't want to convert to 2005 until all of my customers are ready. But, under the right circumstances, I wouldn't hesitate to switch. None of the 'circumstances' are with the technology, it's all about the 'lag' my customers seem to have regarding new technology.

The nice thing about SQL Express (and MSDE) is that you don't *really* have to worry about performance. In our company, we tell the customers that we supply MSDE. If they want to use SQL Server (or they already have it), then fine. Simply attach the database to sql server and configure the clients to use it. This policy (as long as you're clear about it), has never been a problem for us.

-George

Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause. - Fortune cookie wisdom

Thank you gmmastros for your reply.

MSDE uses up to two CPUs and Express only one. I would think that this would make a difference in performance during high peak times of activity, compared to MSDE, especially for longer running processes (a large report is being generated and at the same time another user is trying to do several order inputs)

>Simply attach the database to sql server and configure the clients to use it.

I agree. This is a nice thing for the larger customers who need more "power". Too bad though, that a MSSQL 2005 db file cannot be attached/imported to MSSQL 2000.

I thought about using MSDE for now, but heard about many problems with installations and other things. Otherwise, I guess it would be not too difficult to create the db in 2000 format and just convert it to 2005 format (I understand that MSSQL 2005 does this automatically?) shipping both formats, and then just allow the user to select the installation desired and select/set the connection (2000 Standard, MSDE 2000, 2005 Standard or 2005 Express)

I use this setup.ini file to install MSDE 2000, and it's always work:

[Options]
TARGETDIR=c:\Program Files\MYDB\
DATADIR=c:\Program Files\MYDB\
INSTANCENAME=MYINSTANCE
DISABLENETWORKPROTOCOLS=0
SECURITYMODE=SQL
BLANKSAPWD=1

Problem is, I couldn't figure out how to put password in the setup.ini file. I tried this:

BLANKSAPWD=0
PASSWORD=MYPASSWORD

But the password doesn't stick.

To gmmastros, how exactly the right way to initiate MSDE 2000's username and password?

Thanks.

ndaru,

It's not my job to create the install at my company, so it took a little while to find this.

Click the link and scroll down to "3.4.3 MSDE 2000 Setup Parameters"

Basically, you specify the sa password on the command line while installing it.

setup /settings "MyParameters.ini" SAPWD="AStrongPassword"

-George

Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause. - Fortune cookie wisdom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back