Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sql Server ... deploy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fursten

Programmer
Dec 27, 2000
PT
Hi,

If my vb application uses a microsoft database, and if the computer where that application will run has de MDB it will work fine.

My question is: If I deploy an application that uses an sqlserver database to a computer without sql Server installed on it, will the application work?

I know that, this way I will not be able to do administrative tasks, but that is not a problem.

Thank you,

Sergio Oliveira

Yes and No. If you are using ADO, then the Provider will have to be changed from the MSAccess to SQL Server. And that will also require ADO be installed on the client machine. If you are using ODBC, then a DSN to the SQL Server will have to be created on the client and tables linked/relinked to the appropriate tables/views.

Mark

Hello,

I know that the computer will need to have MDAC installed, no problem!

I will use OLEDB provider with ADO, however, I don´t want to put in the data source argument the name of the machine with SQL Server, because that computer will only have a fisical database (like an mdb in access), got it?

What I want to know is if I can make like in access: we deploy the mdb with the application and the user does´nt need to have Access installed. (in this case, SQL Server)

Regards,

Sergio Oliveira

There is no equivalent between a mdb file and SQL Server. Access mdb files are just that, files. SQL Server on the other hand is a dedicated software system that controls data and retrieval processes.

The SQL Server software would either have to be installed on the client or be available on the network to the client, and you would have to know the server name in order to use it in your application.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back