Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Server CAL Licencing

Status
Not open for further replies.

salma

Technical User
Aug 21, 2001
GB
Hi

I feel that I understand MS CAL licencing whereby any client accessing the server either directly or indirectly requires a CAL (either Device or User CAL or a Processor licence).

However if you export data from SQLServer into a CSV file, is a CAL required for anyone who views that CSV file? They aren't accessing the server, they are only looking at data that originated from SQLServer.

I have read the info at (thank you to the person who posted this link in an earlier thread!) which again seems to indicate that CALs are only required when clients access the server. I have also read the SQLServer and CAL EULAs and searched the web but not found any info for this scenario.

I would be interested in any opinions/answers as this is a fairly typical scenario for my customers

thanks in advance
Salma

No, I'm sure you don't need a license for viewing the text file (although I have never read anything confirming this explicitly).

The license is for the use of SQL Server itself, you're not licensing the actual data. So even though you're creating a text file using SQL Server (for which you would need a license) once it's created, anyone can view it in that format - it's just another copy of your own data.

--James

Hi James

Thanks for the quick response. What you say makes perfect sense to me and is how I originally perceived it ... it's just that I've had conflicting answers from different parties!

guess it's one of those grey areas MS love so much

thanks
Salma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back