Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Server Browser service not starting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sprowler

IS-IT--Management
Sep 30, 2002
GB
Hello Everyone,

I've also posted this in the SQL Server and and Win 2000 Server forums, but hopefully somebody here can help.

My problem is this. I have recently installed SQL Server Express 2005 to a Windows 2000 SP4 Small Business Server for a client of mine, and have successfully started the SQL Server Service, but when I try to start the SQL Browser Service, it errors stating that the service "did not start in a timely fashion".

I have trawled the net and found some articles which suggest that either the remote connections setting isn't enabled, or the incorrect port is being specified.

The client software I am trying to connect to the Server does not pass a port number so needs to have the SQL browser running. I have enabled remote connections via TCP/IP, and have enabled remote connections using the Surface Area Configuration pgm, but still no go.

I think it may be that the port (1433 or 1434) is in use by another service (they have Veritas Backup Exec loaded which installs an instance of SQL Server), but I am not sure. If anyone can help, I'd be very grateful.

Regards

If memory serves, if theres no port number being passed, then you have to use Named Pipes. Enable that and see if it works.

Hi macleod1021

Thanks for your reply

Named pipes have been enabled as is Shared Memory and TCP\IP. I haven't enabled VIA as I've been told by a Network engineer that wouldn't be needed.

Any other ideas?

Are remote connections enabled? In SQL Server 2005 Standard I believe it installs with remote connections off and you use the disk surface utility to turn them on.

Hi RiverGuy

Sorry for the delay in replying.

Yes that was all set too, but I've found a solution. I have changed my code to pass the port number in the connectionstring, and have switched off the browser service. I have read this is much more secure, so thanks for your time but hopefully my prob is silved.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back