Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Server Backup on network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lynds

MIS
Sep 11, 2000
US
I need to be able to direct my backups to the network. However, when I create the backup, my only option is to put it on one of the drives on the server. My server is running out of space, so I really need these backups on the network. Any ideas... [sig][/sig]

I think the workstation you want to put it on will need to have the drive shared or else a folder shared. Then the server will see it in the network neighborhood.
[sig]<p>John A. Gilman<br><a href=mailto:gms@uslink.net>gms@uslink.net</a><br>[/sig]

Hi Lynds

Another option is to use a UNC, i.e. in the Enterprise Manager go to the Backup icon and add a new backup device by defining for example the file name : \\myserver\myshare$\mybackup.bak

One point to remember is that the backup is controlled by the SQL server service and for this or any other process to work across the network the MSSQLServer service needs to have an NT user account with access to the target file.

Regards
Bazzer

[sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back