Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL server backup failure 3041

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cylc

IS-IT--Management
Aug 23, 2005
GB
Our backup has failed with the error msg below:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: MSSQLSERVER
Event Category: (6)
Event ID: 17055
Date: 09/03/2006
Time: 19:30:33
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: PRIMUS
Description:
3041 :
BACKUP failed to complete the command BACKUP DATABASE [SHAFTESBURY] TO DISK
= N'E:\SQL_Backups_SQL\SHAFTESBURY_db_200603091930.SQLBAK' WITH INIT ,
NOUNLOAD , NOSKIP , STATS = 10, NOFORMAT

Data:
0000: e1 0b 00 00 10 00 00 00 á.......
0008: 07 00 00 00 50 00 52 00 ....P.R.
0010: 49 00 4d 00 55 00 53 00 I.M.U.S.
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 ......

We are running SQL Server 2000 ver 8.00.761 on MS Server 2003.
The backup writes to another disk drive instead of a tape and there's sufficient space on the drive.

Any help/advise/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Cylc

Using Enterprise Manager, go to Management>SQL Server Agent>Jobs. Find the backup job and right click on it. Select Job History. Check the box for Expand job steps. Find the one that failed and see what SQL Server says the reason is. Also, you can check the SQL Server Error Logs.

-SQLBill

Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

Thanks SQLBill

The Job History says:
Executed as user: FIZZ\PRIMUS$. sqlmaint.exe failed. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 22029). The step failed.

Where can I find the Server Error Logs?

Cheers
Cylc

You did check the box to show all the job steps, correct? And that was the only thing it showed for the failed step?

The error logs are under Management in Enterprise Manger.

So this is a maintenance plan you are running?
Where are you backing up to - a local drive or over the network?

Has this worked before?

-SQLBill

Hi

Yes I checked the box to show all steps and that's all there was.

The error logs show:
BACKUP failed to complete the command BACKUP DATABASE [SHAFTESBURY] TO DISK = N'E:\SQL_Backups_SQL\SHAFTESBURY_db_200603091930.SQLBAK' WITH INIT , NOUNLOAD , NOSKIP , STATS = 10, NOFORMAT

This maintenence plans runs every days and it has been fine early this week. Since Friday, it has failed daily with the same error message.

It's backed up to another local drive, but not to the same one that the db is on.

Has access to the drive or file changed?

Do you then back that file up to tape or to another drive? If so, is the file in use?

Do you have Antivirus running? Is it scanning the backup file at the time SQL Server is trying to use it?

-SQLBill

As far as I can see, no one's changed the access to the drive or file.

No, the drive/file does not get backed up.

There is antivirus running on the main server however it doesn't run during the time of the db maintenence.

No changes has been made to the system between when it was working and when it started failing.

Thanks!
Cylc

The only time we ever got this error, it was on a transaction log backup where the database had been set to simple recovery which means a transaction log backup is not possible. I don't know if that is helpful here. But at least I would check that.

Also have you checked to make sure the database is not corrupt?

Is the drive itself ok? Maybe its failing because the drive is not properly working.

Questions about posting. See faq183-874
Click here to help with Hurricane Relief

SQLSister,

I considered the log issue also, but the command that failed is BACKUP DATABASE...so that eliminated the log issue. I didn't think about the database being in SIMPLE mode, since it has run successfully before. But someone could have changed the database recovery mode to SIMPLE.

Cylc,

Can you run that command via Query Analyzer and see if it works?

-SQLBill

Thanks for all your help.

The backup ran successfully last night. Not sure how that happened as I haven't made any changes but I'll keep an eye on it.

Thanks again for your time.

Cheers!
Cylc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back