Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Server Agent problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

PawelTru

Programmer
Jul 18, 2002
US
I have a SQL Server 2000 with SP3a running on Windows 2000 Server and a job that is scheduled to run twice a day (2PM and 8PM). The job executes a DTS Package by running the following command:
DTSRun /S "(local)" /N "KHH_LoadGL" /R "." /G "{396FE90C-257D-4FA4-AD4E-B7040DCF0E55}" /L "D:\Data\JobLog\KHH_LoadGL.txt" /W "0" /E

Periodically I have a problem that the job does not run at the specified time (usually 8PM) and simply sets the next run date to the next day at 2PM. There are no logs in SQL Server or Windows or the file as to why the job did not run. There is nothing else running at 8PM.

Thnaks for any help

In Enterprise Manager, go to Jobs. Right click on the job and select View Job History. Check the box for Show job steps. Find one where it failed and see if it gives any reason. Also, check to see how long the steps ran.

Most likely, the 2PM job ran too long.

-SQLBill

Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

There is no entry for the 8 PM at all (success or failure) and the 2PM completed successfully in 14 minutes. I’ve looked in the Job History Table using Query Analyzer and did not find an entry for the 8PM Job.

That is the strange part that there is no entry at all.

You say you have the job scheduled to run at 2pm and 8pm. Is that the same job or two different jobs?

If it's the same job, how did you set it to run at two different times?

-SQLBill

Have you also checked the event log for anything that happens before the 8pm job is to run?

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility!!! [afro]

Michael

SQLBill>
It is the same job that is setup with multiple scheduled events (ID) under the schedules tab. It was simple to setup just by clicking new schedule you can setup multiple schedules.

Michael>
I looked at the SQL Server Logs and the Windows Event Logs and I don't have anything that affects the SQL Server in that time period.

This sounds strange. The only thing I can think of is thet the job is not enabled.

Have you tried deleting the 8pm job, going to dts, right clicking on the package and resheduling the job for 8pm?

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility!!! [afro]

Michael

Right click on the job, select properties, go to the Schedule tab. Highlight the 8pm schedule, click on Edit. There is a check box labeled ENABLE. Is that checked?

-SQLBill

Also, while you are there....make sure the 8pm schedule does not have an end date listed.

-SQLBill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back