Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Server - adding ReportNet "samples" 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeckyBoop

Programmer
Jul 2, 2002
US
Could someone explain to me how to add the sample databases included in the crn directory "webcontent\samples\db" to SQL Server?

In the ReportNet Quick Start and Installation Guide (page 15) the instructions state "Step 2. If required, copy the backup files for the sample databases to your database backup directory....Step 3. Restore the four samples databases with your database management tool." Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
B

Hi,

As I understand your problem is to know how to restore de sample databases.

In that case, for MS SQL Server, open MS SQL Server-->Enterprise Manager application

Right click Databases folder and select All Tasks-->Restore Database option on the popup menu.

On the 'General' tab select 'From device' option. Click 'Select Devices' button. Click 'Add' button and browse to the database file to fill the 'File Name' with the right information.

Click 'OK' twice. Change to 'Options' tab and check all the options are the appropiate and click 'ok' to start restoring the database.

Has that helped?

Manolo.

Ohhhh I really thought that was the answer. At the very last step I receive the message: "RESTORE DATABASE must be used in single user mode when trying to restore the master database. RESTORE DATABASE is terminating abnormally."

I know very little about SQL Server (which is probably very obvious). I'm not sure what "single user mode" refers to. BTW I'm using SQL Server 2000 if that's any help. Your help is greatly appreciated!
~B

The above issue has been resolved. During the 'restore' I am now receiving this message:

Microsoft SQL-DMO (ODBC SQLState: 42000)

Device activation error. The physical name 'C:\MSSQL7\DATA\GOHR.mdf' may be incorrect.

File 'GORH_dat' cannot be restored to 'C:\MSSQL\DATA\GOHR_log.mdf' Use WITH MOVE to identify a valid location for the file. Device activation error. The physical name 'C:\MSSQL7\DATA GOHR.ldf' may be incorrect.

File 'GOHR_log' cannot be restored to 'C:\MSSQL7\DATA\GOHR_log.ldf\. Use WITH MOVE to identify a valid location for the file. RESTORE DATABASE is terminating abnormally.

Suggestions, help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
~B

I have the same problem. How did you solve this?

Thanks in advance!

Hi all,

Have you guys ensured that the location for the *.mdf and *.ldf files are correct?

In the 'Restore database' windows change to 'Options' Tab. In the table, change the path in the 'Restore As' column as appropiate. Make sure the path is correct and points to a valid folder on your system. Those files are used by SQL Server to store data and log activity.

Hope that helps!

Manuel Sanchez.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back