Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sql server 7 installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

oraclec

Programmer
Dec 8, 2002
SG
Hi,

I'm new to MS SqlServer7. Need some help on this. I installed the standard version of this RDBMS on my office desktop. However I could not open the Enterprise Manager, so essentially, I can't create any databases using this RDBMS at all. The error message I got:
============================================================
Fatal Error

Execution cannot continue as the language dependent resource file c:\MSSQL7\Binn\Resources\1033\sqlmmc.RLL could not be loaded.
============================================================
Can someone enlighten?

Thanks a great deal for any help.

|*Oraclec*|

You are saying desktop pc...

I am not sure sql7 works on desktop windows. the machine has to be an NT/2000/.net server.

Also, there may be data corruption on the sql CD. Try a new CD if you have access to one...

Correct, SQL Server will only install a client version of the application on a workstation running Win Pro or WinNT Workstation. Have to run Server Version of NT or 2000.

While it is true that the Standard Edition of SQL Server will not run on a desktop OS, the error occurred because the Microsoft® Management Console (MMC) RLL file could not be loaded when starting Enterprise Manager. This could indciate a corrupted file. More likely it is due to an incomplete installtion of the client tools.

First, verify if the file, c:\MSSQL7\Binn\Resources\1033\sqlmmc.RLL, exists. Does the path even exist? You may need to reinatall the client tools.

Which OS is running on your Office PC? You should be able to install the Desktop Edition of SQL Server 7 on a non-server OS. Terry L. Broadbent - DBA
SQL Server Page:
If you want to get the best answer for your question read faq183-874.

I am using Win XP Pro version. Yes, I managed a successful installation of only the desktop version.

Before this, I tried installing the standard version, but only the client tools could be installed, plus the .rll file could not be loaded.

Thanks for all your help.

|*Oraclec*|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back