Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Server 2012 Express on Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

JScannell

Programmer
Jan 9, 2001
US
I am having a very tough time doing what should be a fairly straight-forward process. I'm trying to install SQL Server 2012 Express on my Windows 10 laptop. I initially tried installing version 2014 and when that happened I then switched to version 2012.

I've tried several different ways without any success. It never installs the basic SQL Server database engine service. I do have SSMS, but not the local database engine which I need for development.

I have tried the following:
1. Straight install taking the default options right through to the end including named instance and IT authentication
2. Install with a default instance but with a SQL login with an sa account
3. Run the install as an administrator (I did this reluctantly because if I was supposed to install as administrator, the installation instructions would have said to do that)

Of course, did a complete de-install in between each try. This whole thing has ended up taking hours and hours as you all know. So, I've quit trying and now am reaching out to the developers' forum for help. How, exactly, should I install this product?

Thanks in advance,
Jerry

Jerry Scannell

Just to throw a spanner in the works - SQL Server 2014 Developer Edition is now free.

I had 2012 Developer installed and then "upgraded" to 2014 Express. Then I unnstalled both and replaced with 2014 Developer.

All of this on a Windows 10 laptop.

My laptop didn't have SQL Server to begin with so what should I do? I've already tried SQL Express 2012 and 2014 and afterwards the database engine service won't start.

I really need to know what (or if) I am doing wrong to cause these issues.

What would make SQL Server Developer edition work any better? And, since I have SSMS installed and working, will SQL Developer installation only install the database engine?

jerry

Jerry Scannell

It can be done. The real question is... why isn't it working. The best way to figure this out is to look at the error logs.

Take a look yourself. If you can't find any problems, the post the error log here.

-George
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
My Blogs
SQLCop
twitter
"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

There won't be a SQL Server error log because the service never gets started. The database instance service fails to start during the last part of the installation.

The default databases (e.g. master) do get created. But without a database instance to connect to, I can't look at anything.

I still need to see a proper list of things to do to install it. What I might do is create a Word document (saved as a PDF file) of the screens I get as I proceed with the install then upload it to this post.

I'm going to have to use SQL 2012 Express right now because my SSMS is of that version. Since that is working I want to leave it alone for the time being.

Jerry

Jerry Scannell

I've found that on Windows 10. It didn't happen on previous versions of Windows. On 10 a number of "Automatic" Services don't always start, so I've written a simple program that lists all of the Automatic Start Services that haven't started so that I can then start them.

Have a look in Services, you will probably see SQL Server(InstanceName) Description a blank space in the Status Column and Automatic in the StartupType column. If this is the case, just right-click the Service and select Start.

I've just accepted this unreliable service startup as a "feature" of Windows 10. It doesn't always affect the same services!!!

As far as SSMS is concerned it will be installed by the Developer edition.

I had already tried starting the service the first time but got the same error message that caused the install to fail.

I'm going to try the developer edition and make screenshots of each part so if there is a problem I will have something concrete to attach to this entry for you all to look at.

There are still a couple of SQL server services still installed on my laptop (I'm at work so I can't tell you which ones). Should I remove anything that begins withe SQL Server before attempting the developer edition?

Does it matter if I pick 2012 or 2014?

Jerry

Jerry Scannell

go for 2014 - no point in using older technology unless required to do so due to work commitments - and you can always have both 2012 and 2014 installed and running in parallel if required

Regards

Frederico Fonseca
SysSoft Integrated Ltd

FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Take a look at the whole post. I initially tried 2014 Express, when that didn't work I tried 2012 Express, and most recently 2014 Developer. All of them result in the same problem.

Jerry Scannell

There won't be a SQL Server error log because the service never gets started.

Sometimes there will be an error log, even if the service fails to install. Have you checked for an error log?

-George
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
My Blogs
SQLCop
twitter
"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

Actually, with my recent attempt at installing the 2014 Developer edition, I did find some errors in the application log. Not much help, though. Basically said the same thing that I've been dealing with that the database engine instance couldn't be run or something to that effect. The service isn't running and trying to run it gives me the same error.

(I'm at work now so don't have the actual text of the message. I will take a screenshot of the app log and attach it here tonight when I get home)

Jerry

Jerry Scannell

copy/paste would be better than a screen shot so that it is searchable.

The log file that I'm interested in is usually located here:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL12.SQL2014\MSSQL\Log\ERRORLOG

This is an ASCII file that can be opened with notepad.

-George
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
My Blogs
SQLCop
twitter

I will get it for you tonight.

Jerry

Jerry Scannell

I've attached the log. It was actually found in: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Log
so maybe I downloaded the 2012 developer edition most recently.

There are actually 6 other files with the extension .1 thru .6. Do you need any of those?

Jerry

Jerry Scannell

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=2eacfa8e-fbf6-4c2c-9b33-224319972578&file=ERRORLOG
As a follow-up. I did install 2014 developer the other night. Problem is there isn't a folder that points to what I thought would be something like: MSSQL12.MSSQLSERVER which I believe is the naming convention for SQL server 2014.

Jerry Scannell

George,

I don't know anything about certificates or how to install them. If there is one missing from my laptop that stops SQL Server's instance from loading, what do I do? How do I go about getting a certificate?

Jerry

Jerry Scannell

I'm not sure either. Hopefully someone else will. Sorry.

-George
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
My Blogs
SQLCop
twitter

One solution might be to do a COMPLETE uninstall of the SQL Server(s). Using Windows uninstall (Programs and Features) leaves a lot of junk behind especially in the Resgistry. I use IOBIT Uninstaller which cleans out almost all of the Registry entries and temp files and makes subsequent clean intalls easier. It is a free download. Alternatively there are a lot of free Registry cleaners available that can clear out Registry entries that no longer refer to anything. At least then you will know that you are doing a completely clean install.

When I've had problematic installs in the past and maybe have several attempted installs leaving junk behind - these tools enable me to be able to start again and usually with a successful install.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back