Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Server 2008 Express cannot connect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chance1234

IS-IT--Management
Jul 25, 2001
US
When I try to connect to a SQL server 2008 express server, either through code or via ODBC I get the following errors

Microsoft SQL Server Login
---------------------------
Connection failed:
SQLState: '01000'
SQL Server Error: 10060
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][TCP/IP Sockets]ConnectionOpen (Connect()).
Connection failed:
SQLState: '08001'
SQL Server Error: 17
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][TCP/IP Sockets]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

From googling I have done the following

1)Made sure the SQL Browser service is running
2)Enabled TCP/IP in via configuration tool
3)Removed the TCP Dynamic port setting in IPAll and set TCP Port 1433
4)have check that the server has windows authentication and SQL authentication checked ]
5)Restarted the SQL Service
6)Restarted the server itself
7)Added port 1433 to the firewall on the server

If I type netstart -an on the server I can see that port 1433 is listening

If i type telnet server 1433 on the users machine I get cannot connect to port 1433

what am I missing ?

Chance,

F, G and Skipper

Just a WAG... do you have a router between the client and the server that needs to be configured to pass traffic on port 1433 to the servers IP Address?

-George

"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

Also...

On the server, load the "Surface Area Configuration" tool.

Start -> All Programs -> Microsoft SQL Server 2008 -> Configuration Tools -> SQL Server Surface Area Configuration

Click "Surface Area Configuration for Services and Connections"

On the next screen, expand your instance name (it should be SQLExpress). Expand "Database Engine". Click on "Remote Connections". Make sure it is configured for "Local and remote connections" and you have "TCP/IP only" or "both TCP/IP and named pipes" selected.

-George

"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

I've got to ask an obvious question - do you have a login on the server and have you been granted access to at least one database?

-SQLBill

The following is part of my signature block and is only intended to be informational.
Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

gmmastros,

is there a way I can test to see if their is a router is being blocking the port (if there is one ) clients IT is outsource an no techies in the place. Everything is behind closed cupoards

Chance,

F, G and Skipper

Chance,

I am not too familiar with router. Sorry. You may want to try a few things.

At a command prompt:

[tt]tracert xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx[/tt]

tracert may show if there is a router between your client and the server. It may not either, I don't really know.

Also.... when you are trying to connect between client and server, are you using computer name? If so, try using the server's IP Address instead. I've encountered situations where DNS gets a little wonky so that the computer name does not resolve to the correct IP address. Also, there could be settings in your hosts file the redirects computer name to a different IP Address.

Do you have this problem from all client computers trying to connect to the server, or is it just one computer?

-George

Its a fresh install so just tyring to get it working on one user first .

Tried using the IP server address instead of the name and the same error occurs. have also tried servername/sqlexpress ip... .. ... /Sqlexpress and servername and ip... ... ...

Chance,

F, G and Skipper

Are you using a forward slash to separate the computer name from the instance name? It should be a back slash.

ComputerName\SQLExpress

You can also try ip address and port

But... if telnet is not letting you connect, it wouldn't work anyway.

Just to recap....

1. You checked surface area configuration on the server.
2. You know that the correct IP address is used at the client (ping ServerName will confirm this).
3. There are no firewall issues on the server.
4. There are no known routers/firewalls between the client and server.

I'm fresh out of ideas. Sorry. I wish you luck.

-George

having their outside IT company looking into it for any network reason why it might be blocked.Truely stumped on this one.

Chance,

F, G and Skipper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back