Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Server 2000 SP3

Status
Not open for further replies.

johndweidauer

Programmer
Jul 31, 2002
US
We run MAS 500, a table now times out whenever it is called upon. This is the only table in the entire database that does this. When I open the table to view it, I recieve an ODBC time-out error. We have been using the database for over a few years now without this problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks

How many recorrds are there within the table?

Have you run checkdb recently?

Are there any indexes on the table?

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000) / MCTS (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

There is approximately 19000 records, I know this by viewing the properties of the table. There is one Index.

I have not run checkdb on the database, should I do this as well as DBCC CHECKTABLE?

I have never used the checkdb before.

DBCC CHECKTABLE('timInvtBinList')
----------------------------------
DBCC results for 'timInvtBinList'.
There are 19216 rows in 84 pages for object 'timInvtBinList'.
DBCC execution completed. If DBCC printed error messages, contact your system administrator.
----------------------------------
no errors were returned.

do you set the timeout via the connection string?

"In complete darkness we are all the same, only our knowledge and wisdom separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you.

Check the Server properties. There's a query timeout on the Connections tab.

Catadmin - MCDBA, MCSA
"No, no. Yes. No, I tried that. Yes, both ways. No, I don't know. No again. Are there any more questions?"
-- Xena, "Been There, Done That"

by stopping and starting the service, everthing returned to normal, possibly something was allocated and wouldn't release...blah blah blah, I will look into why.

Thanks.

My next question would have been is your query being blocked by anything. If it happens again run sp_who2 and it will tell you if you are being blocked by someone who is running a query.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000) / MCTS (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

I will do that. I suppose MAS 500 locks the table while running a process and never released it, I am not sure, but I will be more than willing to do anything to trace the cause.

thanks.

Sometimes if a network connection goes down, SQL Server isn't always aware of it and can leave the connection open even if its not getting any data. If this happens again, add Pings & Tracerts to your list of things to run.

Catadmin - MCDBA, MCSA
"No, no. Yes. No, I tried that. Yes, both ways. No, I don't know. No again. Are there any more questions?"
-- Xena, "Been There, Done That"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back