Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Server 2000 service pack 3 install error

Status
Not open for further replies.

glealv

Programmer
Apr 17, 2002
US
Forgot to shut down SQL Server before installing SP3.
Error message "instmsdb.sql can not be opened for write".
Subsequent attempts to install SP3 with system shut down fail.
Is there a solution short of reinstalling SQL Server 2000?
Thanks.

You should not have to shut down SQL Server before installing the Service Pack. Are you getting this error during boot-up of SQL server, or during the installation of SP3?

Error is occuring during SP installation.

Go ahead and bring your database back online. The installation process will stop the services when it needs too. It has to validate your SA login, and other things before it actually applies the service pack.

Hope this helps.

Result of this error is that Service agent will not start.

Make sure your username and password are correct for the service to run (control panel - services) and check the user account is not locked out. (User manager for domains if NT). (Administrative Tools - Computer Management - Users and Groups - Users if Win2K)
You need to make the database write enabled to run the service pack, then set it back when the service pack has run!
Back it up first though!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for help on this. Even though documentation says
shut down not necessary, experience says it is.

Tried to start SQL Agent through control panel\services.
Message is "Procedure entry point SFMAPIOGETPROFILES could
not be located in the DLL SEMMAPI.dll".
Tried to replace SEMMAPI.dll. Not allowed.

That virus may have been running on my server while I was
installing SP3.

I have a problem also but while I'm installing SP3, It's can't validate password both of sa and administrator. I'm sure the password correct. I can't go ahead process. what should I do?

Try re-installing the SQL Agent then re start, that worked for us with this issue!

Original problem has been solved. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back