Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sql server 2000 sending mails 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tempo1

Programmer
Feb 20, 2007
Hi everyone,
My table contains 2 columns:1. mame 2. email address.
Is there a way to write a script that will mail a message to the whole list without me sending the message to each mail address separately?
Thanks

This code will generate a semi-colon (usual separator for email clients) separated list of email addresses from a table that you could then pass as the email recipient field to whatever mechanism you are using to generate the email:
Code:
DECLARE @EmlLst AS VarChar(8000)
SELECT @EmlLst = COALESCE(@EmlLst + ';',';') + EmailAddress FROM MyTable
SELECT @EmlLst
If the list is likely to be more than 8000 characters long you may have to use an alternative approach - perhaps using text data type.

Hi Glasgow
Sorry but i didnt understand...[blush]
The least i believe to have understood is :i gat a variable containning all the addresses.
Thanks anyway..

The problem with glasgow's aproach is spam-filters. For the rest it should work.

Christiaan Baes
Belgium

"My old site" - Me

Hi,
Yes i ran it and recieved a variable that contains the mail addresses from my table.
I did more than that, i downloaded:
master.dbo.xp_smtp_sendmail
gave it my mail address as parameter and another mail address as another parameter, ran it (first 10 rows as a matter of fact) and recieved an error message saying:
Cannot load the DLL xpsmtp80.dll, or one of the DLLs it references. Reason: 126(error not found).

Have you tried using xp_sendmail that ships with SQL2000?

The variable returned from my example could be passed to xp_sendmail as the first parameter - which is documented as expecting a semi-colon separated list.

Hi Glasgow,
No i didnt try in the first place but having tried after reading your last notification i see "new horizons".
I'll have to spend some time learning that matter but at this moment i'm very gratefull to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back