Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Server 2000 linked Server to Progress 9.1D - help

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingly

MIS
May 15, 2007
CA
I cannot successfully set up an SQL Server linked server to my Progress 9.1D database using Merant 3.60 32-BIT PROGRESS ODBC Data source yet this data source works fine in DTS packages.
I would appreciate anyone's help in getting this problem solved, so I can use T-SQL statements such as SELECT * FROM OPENQUERY(...
When I try to display the Tables under the Linked Server in Enterprise manager, I get error message "Error 7399: OLE DB provider 'MSDASQL' reported an error. The provider did not give any information about the error. OLE DB error trace [OLE/DB Provider 'MSDASQL' IDBInitialize::Initialize returned 0x80004005: The provider did not give any information about the error.].

That's exactly what I would like to do (see my 2nd paragraph). The problem is that without a working linked server, OPENQUERY will not work.
I think the problem is with the connection string, but I can't find any documentation on how to set it up. This is what I'm using for the linked server definition in Enterprise Manager:
Product Name:MSDASQL
Data Source: TM_PROD (this connects OK and works in DTS packages)
Provider String:DRIVER={MERANT 3.60 32-BIT PROGRESS};DSN=TM_PROD;DB=ticket;OIDP=TCP;OIDS=tm_prod;OIDH=servername;DBAM=Via Server;DBPR=TCP;DBS=ticket;DBH=servername;ASC=1;SR=1;GST=0;UID=username;PWD=password;

(I've replaced the actual server name, username and password with these words in this posting, but am using the correct values in the actual definition!)
The Progress database name is "ticket", the service defined in C:\WINNT\System32\Drivers\Etc\services is tm_prod.
I've also tried all the possibilities on the Security tab.

Getting quite frustrated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back