Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Server 2000 - database Documentation 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisDodgson

Technical User
Sep 8, 2003
GB
I have a server whereby 3 or 4 databases all relate to each other. Occasionally it has been necessary to make changes to the schema of one or more of these databases to incorporate new requirements.

Is there a way to autodocument 3 or 4 databases in tandem so I can view dependancies. (eg: scripts that sit across one or more databases) I've seen I can generate a SQL Script from Enterprise Manager to document 1 database, but I was after a more intuitive tool (if such a thing exists!)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Chris Dodgson

In Enterprise Manager, right click the Database and navigate to All Tasks - Generate SQL Script. In that popup window, you can actually choose an individual table (or multiple tables without choosing all) and All Dependencies. When you do that, it will script every PK, every Constraint, every Foreign Key and the tables connected to those Foreign Keys.

Catadmin - MCDBA, MCSA
"No, no. Yes. No, I tried that. Yes, both ways. No, I don't know. No again. Are there any more questions?"
-- Xena, "Been There, Done That"

Glad I could help. @=)

Catadmin - MCDBA, MCSA
"No, no. Yes. No, I tried that. Yes, both ways. No, I don't know. No again. Are there any more questions?"
-- Xena, "Been There, Done That"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back