Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Server 2000 and Windows Server 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

VolkerStamme

Programmer
May 21, 2005
GB
Hi,
I was sort of expecting to find something in the FAQs but didn't so here's the question. I'm trying to install SQL8 on Windows Server 2003 which, supposedly, requires SP1 for Windows and SP3+ for SQL Server. According to this KB article I should ignore the incompatibility message (did that) and immediately after the installation of SQL install SP3 or higher. I've even got SP4 but that doesn't help me as the server installation never finishes in the first place. I've tried it 4 or 5 times now and always got stuck during the "Starting and configuring SQL server" part.
It also says in that KB that Additionally, you may experience unexpected behavior. Wonder what that's supposed to tell me.
Any ideas what I should do, excluding buying Oracle?
Thanks
Volker/

Are you trying to install a named instance of SQL or the default instance?

Check the application log, does SQL actually startup?

Is the windows firewall disabled?

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]
Donate to Katrina relief

Denny,

>> Are you trying to install a named instance of SQL or the default instance?

Default. I'm basically trying to just get back in business.

>> Check the application log, does SQL actually startup?
Nope. And it seems like the timeout is set quite high as I left it for about 5h and it was still "trying". SP4 therefore complains about a never completed installation.

>> Is the windows firewall disabled?
No, it is not. Don't tell me that's the problem ... ;-) Just for a change I didn't consider the FW as it's a local thing I'm trying to achieve.
BTW, I tried both enterprise and dev edition, same issue. Can't get the $%^$^£ to install

thanks,
Volker/

Disable the firewall.

The installer tried to connect to the SQL Server over port 1433. The firewall can easily be stopping this from happening.

This might help. Use the client network utility and setup an alias to the SQL Server using NAmed Piper. This will force the installer to connect over Named Pipes instead of over port 1433.

After you are finished patching remove the alias.

Don't forget to open a hole in the firewall for your clients to connect through.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]
Donate to Katrina relief

Alright, I've checked. I haven't installed the ICS service yet, i.e. there is no firewall apart from my hardware fw. I'll keep trying... :-(

Thanks
Volker/

DUH!!!
It WAS a security issue, just not the firewall. After setting up the new OS the System account had just no rights to access my data drive $%@^. Server installation has just completed. Thanks
Volker/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back