Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL sequence problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

arrian

Programmer
Nov 11, 2003
CA
I need to be able to generate the next number in a sequence (9001, 9002, 9003,... ) and return it to the user. I need to be able to get the number, then the next person who queries it, will get the next number. I'm not exactly sure how to do this. I originaly thought an identity would work, but with that, I can't really send the number back. Any suggestions? If this needs clarification, let me know. I don't think I'm being quite clear here...

> I originaly thought an identity would work, but with that, I can't really send the number back.

Yes you can - in most of situations. More info please...

------
[small]select stuff(stuff(replicate('<P> <B> ', 14), 109, 0, '<.'), 112, 0, '/')[/small]
[banghead]

I'm not sure what you mean with the "as ID"... As far as I can think, the only thing that's unique is the number from in the sequence.

When I use an identity, the identity is generated when the row is inserted into the table. The only unique item in the table will be the identity, so I don't know how I would be able to return the identity.

Ok... Well, the problem is, the identity won't be generated until I've inserted the row. And there's nothing else that I can put in there that will be unique, so I'm not sure how I'll be able to return the alias. I've tried a stored procedure, and it allmost works. The only problem is it requires me to send a value to all the parameters, and it's returning the value I send, regardless of what it should be.

????

Run this

create table testIdentity (id int identity , value char(1))
insert into testIdentity
select 'A'

select @@identity as ID,scope_identity() as AnotherID
go
insert into testIdentity
select 'c'
select @@identity as ID,scope_identity() as AnotherID
go

Denis The SQL Menace
SQL blog:
Personal Blog:

Well, that could work... But the problem will be having more than one person inserting data at the same time. Will if I put the select in with the insert statement, will it allways return the id for that row?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back