Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL save slow when compared with mySQL

Status
Not open for further replies.

IS-IT--Management
Oct 18, 2001
US
hi

I have 2 databases (the size are same). When I sue my VB program to save data to mysql, it is much faster than SQL server. I have checked all the indexes on the relevant tables but still slow. For a data that takes 2 sec to save in mySQL, it takes aound 8 seconds on SQL. Again, the sizes and other characterisics are same for both DB.

So exactly how are you saving data? Please post the code.

Questions about posting. See faq183-874

Take a look at the query plan in Query Analyser. That should tell you where your latency is.

Denny

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

[noevil]

Are we talking about one/few complex queries or lots of while-not-eof-do-something queries initiated client-side? More info please...

You didn't by chance use a cursor did you?

how can i find out if I am using cursor on SQL side. As far as VB app is concerned, the code is same ad I just change the DSn to talk to mySQL or SQL.

You would need to look at the code that is being run on the SQL Server, or at the procedure that is being called.

Denny

[noevil]

i am using a server side cursor ..here is the snippet.

mo_CnLib.CursorLocation = adUseServer

Also, the save involves direct insert commands..it seems that mySQL inserts are faster than SQL inserts.

What are your memory configs setup like? Does SQL have enough memory, are your disks fast enough? Are you using an engine in MySQL that has transaction logs? If not that's one reason that it will be faster.

I'm curious why it's taking 2 seconds on the MySQL side to do the inserts. Inserts into any database should be very fast.

Denny

[noevil]

I'd still like to see the code that actually does the insert. There are many very inefficient ways to write code.

This is true. Can you post the insert code.

Denny

[noevil]

Where are the server engines? Are they both on your workstation or on a remote server?
-Karl

[red] Cursors, triggers, user-defined functions and dynamic SQL are an axis of evil![/red]
[green]Life's uncertain...eat dessert first...www.deerfieldbakery.com[/green]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back