Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL - return all field names with a specific value for a given record 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 12, 2003
US
SQL 2005. I would like to do a select query that returns all fields for a specific record that are equal to a specific value.

Table1 has a number of fields (Field1, Field2, Field3...). Each of these fields can either be True or False. I would like to query a specific record and produce a list of which fields have a value of 'True'.

Is this possible, and if so can anyone provide an example? TIA.

Thanks,
stelljohann
--The number of times an uninteresting thing happens is an interesting thing.--

try this:

Code:
Select YourColumn(s)
From   YourTable
[!]Where  'True' in (Field1, Field2, Field3, Field4)[/!]

There are other ways to handle this type of query. You could use dynamic sql or even a union query. Some methods may have advantages over others.

-George
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
My Blogs
SQLCop
"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

Re-reading your question, I may have misunderstood. If this is true, let me know.

-George
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
My Blogs
SQLCop
"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

Thanks for the Quick response George. Your query is returning the actual values for all specified fields though. Using the table below, I'd like to query Record1 and get a result of 'Field1, Field2'. Likewise, if I query Record2, the result should be 'Field2, Field4'.

Table1
--------
Recordid | Field1 | Field2 | Field3 | Field4
----------------------------------------------
Record1 | True | True | False | False
Record2 | False | True | False | True

Thanks.

Thanks,
stelljohann

I had a feeling that I misunderstood your question, and I do apologize for that.

I suggest you take a look at this query, which I believe woudl provide the results you are looking for.

Code:
Declare @Temp 
Table   (Id VarChar(10), 
        Field1 VarChar(5), 
        Field2 VarChar(5), 
        Field3 VarChar(5), 
        Field4 VarChar(5))

Insert Into @Temp Values('Record1','True','True','False','False')
Insert Into @Temp Values('Record2','False','True','False','True')

Select *,
       Case When Field1 = 'True' Then 'Field1,' Else ' End
       + Case When Field2 = 'True' Then 'Field2,' Else ' End
       + Case When Field3 = 'True' Then 'Field3,' Else ' End
       + Case When Field4 = 'True' Then 'Field4,' Else ' End As FieldsWithTrue
From   @Temp
Where  Id = 'Record1'

Note that there will be a trailing comma on the data. I did not add the required code to remove it because it would make the query harder to understand.

-George
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
My Blogs
SQLCop

Perfect. This is exactly what I needed. I had to make one minor syntax change. I changed the single quote after the Else statements to two single quotes. Thanks for your help.

Thanks,
stelljohann

Weird. I had 2 single quotes in the code I posted. It mysteriously changed to one single-quote.

-George
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
My Blogs
SQLCop

2 single-quotes outside a code block: here '.

Code:
2 single-quotes inside a code block here '.

2 single-quotes inside a quote block here'.

-George
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
My Blogs
SQLCop

2 single-quotes are shown in the preview page, but not when submitted. I guess this is a half-assed (poorly implemented) attempt at preventing SQL injection on this site.

-George
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
My Blogs
SQLCop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back