Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Query to rank relevance of search results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartinSmithhh

Programmer
Nov 8, 2001
GB
I am currently writing an app which must have a free text search facility on a database field it also must allow wild card searches. But I am struggling on the most efficient way of doing this.

So if someone searches a Title Field for "*elcom* *To* *Taf*" I am splitting this into component words, converting * to % and generating a query.

Whilst this would be straight forward enough for a search of fields containing all these words I must also allow OR searching!

I would like the results to come back in order of relevance so that "Welcome To Taffy" (which matches all 3 search terms) will be ordered well above "Staff Update" (which matches only 1)

What I have so far works but I am sure would shock a SQL guru!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Code:
SELECT TITLE, 3 [Matches]
FROM motd
WHERE ((TITLE LIKE '%ELCOM%') AND (TITLE LIKE '%TO%') AND 
    (TITLE LIKE '%TAF%'))
UNION
SELECT TITLE, 2 [Matches]
FROM motd
WHERE ((TITLE LIKE '%ELCOM%') AND (TITLE LIKE '%TO%')) OR
    ((TITLE LIKE '%ELCOM%') AND (TITLE LIKE '%TAF%')) OR
    ((TITLE LIKE '%TAF') AND (TITLE LIKE '%TO%'))
UNION
SELECT TITLE, 1 [Matches]
FROM motd
WHERE ((TITLE LIKE '%ELCOM%') OR
    (TITLE LIKE '%TO%') OR
    (TITLE LIKE '%TAF%'))
ORDER BY Matches
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The length and complexity of the query I need to generate grows exponentially with the number of words entered by the user, so even if I limited them to 10 words the resulting query would still look pretty horrific!

I have also read that the "Like" Keyword uses table scans which are apparently prohibitively resource intensive. Unfortunately this app also needs to be pretty scalable. I would welcome any suggestions for tackling this problem.

If you are running SQL Server 7.0 or higher have a look under the topic Full-Text Searching in book on-line.

Sounds like it might be what your looking for.

Rick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back