Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Query returns no value

Status
Not open for further replies.

bataraguru

Programmer
Jun 4, 2002
MY
Hi,
I'm having a problem with my query.

<cfquery name="display_date" datasource="#dsn#">
SELECT * FROM reservation
WHERE (checkin >= 03/05/2005 OR checkout >= 03/05/2005) AND
RoomNo = 'SM001'
</cfquery>

Table reservation:
checkin (date/time) checkout (date/time) RoomNo (char)
1.03/05/2005 06/05/2005 SM001
2.01/05/2005 02/05/2005 SM001
3.13/05/2005 16/05/2005 SM001

Base on my table and query the result should be return 2 value (1 & 2). But in my problem there is no result.
if i change the '>=' to '=' it will return a value (1).
Could anybody help me on this.

Thanks in advanced.

(checkin >= 03/05/2005 OR checkout >= 03/05/2005)
number 2 doesn't satisfy these conditions. I hope you ment 1 & 3.

try putting pound signs around your dates.

Code:
(checkin >= [b]##[/b]03/05/2005[b]##[/b] OR checkout >= [b]##[/b]03/05/2005[b]##[/b])

Beware of programmers who carry screwdrivers.

oh yaa.. it should have 1 & 3.
btw, using '##' did not solve my problem.
and i have try using cfqueryparam just like below and still doesnt produce the output that i want.
<cfquery name="chalet" datasource="OrangeCountryResort">
SELECT * FROM Reservation
WHERE room = '#RoomNo#' AND (checkin > <cfqueryparam value="#today#" cfsqltype="CF_SQL_DATE"> OR checkout > <cfqueryparam value="#today#" cfsqltype="CF_SQL_DATE">)
</cfquery>

your problem will disappear (and your query will run faster, too) if you follow "best practice" and let the database use its own internal current date/time value, rather than you feeding it a string from an external source (coldfusion) which it must first parse and then validate to ensure that it's a valid date string, and then convert to an internal representation of a date/time

select *
from reservation
where RoomNo = 'SM001'
and ( checkin >= Now()
or checkout >= Now() )
</cfquery>

note carefully: in the above query Now() is the microsoft access function, not the coldfusion function

rudy | r937.com | Ask the Expert | Premium SQL Articles
SQL for Database-Driven Web Sites (next course starts May 8 2005)

you using SQL server?

select *
from reservation
where RoomNo = 'SM001'
and (checkin >= #createodbcdate(now())# or checkout is #createodbcdate(now())# )
</cfquery>

thanks r937 & ksea for your suggestion..
sorry to say that the output still the same..

#3 has invalid dates, so shouldn't the results only return #1?

Table reservation:
checkin (date/time) checkout (date/time) RoomNo (char)
3.13/05/2005 16/05/2005 SM001

hi bataraguru,

#3 contains invalid dates, if you are using the format 'mm/dd/yyyy'. There is no 13th or 16th month. What format are your dates in, and what database are you using? I am using SQL server and I can't insert the text '13/05/2005' into a date field. Is your 'date' column of type char?

jalpino

The format in the database = dd/mm/yyyy.
using microsoft access dbase. checkin & checkout are defined as Date/Time.

Thanks

Since your date/time is setup as dd/mm/yyyy in MSAccess, why not use CF to format the date in the way you want?

Code:
select * 
from reservation
where RoomNo = 'SM001'
      and (checkin >= "dateformat(now(),'dd/mm/yyyy')" or checkout >= "dateformat(now(),'dd/mm/yyyy')")
</cfquery>

[sub]

thanks for the reply GUJUm0deL, still dont solved my problems. I wonder why? Its there any restriction or format i have to declare in the GENERAL data type settings like Input Mask, Caption ..

thanks..

How did you decalre the date to be as dd/mm/yyyy in the first place? I looked at my MS Access and I only see the following the format types: General Date, Long Date, Medium Date, Short Date. The only thing close to your date format is the medium date and thats as dd-mo-yy.

Are you sure there is actual data in the dB for the query to pull any results from? Post some code or more info.

[sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back