Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Query Builder not connecting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lotruth

Programmer
May 2, 2001
US
I am using CF 4.5 Studio. I am trying to use the query builder to access my MS Access 2000 DB. I try to connect to the localhost, but it says that the connection could not be established even though I know I am connected to the network.

Is your CF server running cf rds service? It must be running this service for you to make a connection.
The only dumb questions are the ones that are never asked

I went into C:\CFUSION\BIN\ and double clicked both cfrdsservice.exe and cfserver.exe to be sure they were running. I did not get any indicator that they were. (No icon near the clock) However, cfserver.exe has to be running because my cfm pages still work. I still cannot connect in SQL Query Builder though. How do I know if RDS is running or not?

>How do I know if RDS is running or not?

in the cf admin. Edit any datasource, click on the button 'browse server' at the right of the field 'Database File'.
If the 'Select File on the Server' just keeps displaying 'retrieving initial directories...' RDS is not running.

webron

I tried your suggestion, and the directories came up fine.
When I try to access localhost in the SQL Builder from the copy of CF Studio 4.0 on the server I get a message saying that the authenication failed. When I try it from the copy of Studio 4.5 on my workstation, I get a message saying that connection to the server could not be established. Im stumped. Thanks for your help.

Go into the CF Administrator and click on "Security". You should get a pop-up that allows you to assign a password for Studio to access the server. If the box is checked, uncheck it. Go back to Studio and select "localhost" from the dropdown menu. You should then see your datasources displayed and you can select them. I have Studio 5.0, but I'm pretty sure 4.5 worked the same way when I was using it. Calista :-X
Jedi Knight,
Champion of the Force

That did the trick. Thanks for all of you all's messages. Im off to learn how to use SQL Query Builder now.

I'm having a similar problem...

When trying to create an ODBC Data Source, I browse the server for the "Database File" and the "Select File on the Server" page keeps hanging on "retrieving initial directories...". I know that RDS is running.

I'm stumped! Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back