Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL prompts for parameter on calculated field

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamisens

Technical User
Apr 29, 2001
US
I am trying to program a button to sort a listbox by changing the SQL rowsource. I saw a post by you suggesting this technique. My initial SQL is:

SELECT AssayID, AssayName, DLookUp('[Value]','ValueList_Items','[ItemID] =' & SeqTypeID) AS Type, GeneSymbol, GenomicLocation AS Location FROM Assays Where [SeqTypeID] =3

Notice the Dlookup calculated field in the SELECT statement. My code adds the ORDERBY part to the SQL and reassigns it to the listbox rowsource:

*********************************************************************************************************************
Function SortBy(I As Integer) ‘ I specifies the button clicked
On Error GoTo Err_SortBy

Dim strFieldName As String, strSortOrder As String, strSQL As String
Dim J As Integer

strOriginalSQL = Me.lstSelect.Tag ' holds the SQL without any orderby. strOriginalSQL is a private ‘ module variable
strFieldName = Me.lstSelect.Column(I, 0) ' Column Head holds the field name to sort by

For J = 1 To 6 ' There are 6 sort buttons
If J = I Then ' I identifies the button clicked
Select Case Me("cmdOrder" & I).Caption
Case "DESC", vbNullString
strSortOrder = "ASC"
Me("cmdOrder" & J).Caption = "ASC"
Case "ASC"
strSortOrder = "DESC"
Me("cmdOrder" & J).Caption = "DESC"
End Select
Else
Me("cmdOrder" & J).Caption = vbNullString
End If
Next J

strSQL = strOriginalSQL & " ORDER BY " & strFieldName & " " & strSortOrder

With Me!lstSelect
.RowSource = strSQL
.Requery
.SetFocus
End With

Exit_SortBy:
Exit Function

Err_SortBy:
MsgBox Err.Number & ": " & Err.Description, vbCritical, "Error in SortBy"
Resume Exit_SortBy

End Function
**********************************************************************************************************************

The initial query works fine and sorting on all the fields works fine but when I try to sort on the calculated field, my form prompts me for a parameter for “Type” even though it is a calculated field in my query. My question is, why is this happening and how can it be avoided?

Thank you very much, any help would be appreciated.

Tamar.

Hi Tamar!

You can't sort on an alias such as Type. You need to repeat the DLookUp statement in the Order By clause.

hth Jeff Bridgham
bridgham@purdue.edu

Hello Jeff,

Thank you for your reply. My listbox is unbound and can accept several queries with different calculated alias fields in different columns. Do you think there is a way I can still have this sort button functionality implemented somehow? I need the function to be able to recognize if it is a calculated field and build it into the ORDERBY clause.

Thank you Tamar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back