Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Profile Trace keeps stopping

Status
Not open for further replies.

swhitten

Technical User
Sep 3, 2002
US
I am running a SQL profile trace, but it keeps stopping. I am logged onto the server thru RDP, and I am saving the trace results to a file on the desktop of the server. When it stops, I get an error box that says:

SQL Profiler

Failed to read trace data.

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL SErver Driver][DBNETLIB]ConnectionRead(recv()).(State 01000) (Code 10054)

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL SErver Driver][DBNETLIB]General Network Error. Check your network documentation. (State 08501) (Code 11).

Any insight?

It may run fine for two hours, then stop twice in five minutes. Thanks in advance for the help.

Which version of SQL Server? Can you recreate this when not using RDP?

SQL 2000
I only have access to this server via RDP; it is physically in another city under lock down in a data center :(

I have not looked at the link you found, but I will. Although it does not appear to be my exact error message. I have been working with their SQL DBA and another SQL guy directly from Microsoft, but they haven't been able to resolve it. So I, the non-SQL person, am searching for an answer.

Unfortunately, the trace has stopped prior to capturing the deadlock issue that it is supposed to be capturing, which is a whole other story . . .

Is it safe to say that since I am running the trace ON the server and saving the trace log to a folder on the server that it is not a network connectivity issue?

Thanks for the link; I will read it more thoroughly.

What domain rights do you have as the user running RDP, admin? (I hope) I assume you are running the profile trace as SA?

Also, have you restricted all the applications, users, etc. that you are tracing? Ideally I would only want to trace the app getting the deadlocks and also eliminate tracing a lot of action.

Finally what are saving the output as? Are you saving it as SQL script?

Just giving you some ideas of things to look at.

John,
Thanks for your help. I will check on my rights; I believe I am admin. I am running trace as sa.

Tracing is as limited as I can get it - just some statement starting/stopping stuff and for just the four users who seem to be doing the activities causing the deadlocks. It is still creating huge trace files, but I think it's as pared down as I can get it.

Saving output as as a trc file.

Thanks again! If anything else occurs to you, ping me back.

Try saving it as sql script and then view using query tool.

Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back