Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

kel1981b

Programmer
Jan 3, 2003
US
Hi,

I'm VB programmer with some VB - SQL server experience who has to start to do DBA job [sadeyes]. I've never done it before and do ot have time to attend some school/courses. So, question is what I can do to Database prove performance. I know I can clean Database but I do not know how. Can somebody give me some tip how to do that?
Thanks a lot for your help

[thumbsup]

I'm a developer too who's doing DBA work..unfortunately :-(

1. what do you mean by "clean Database"?
2. I higly suggest that you have/create a test database for yourself and do NOT use the production database as you test environment.
3. You need to outline your database issues:
if performance is an issue, look at this website
Also, is a great site forum (tek-tips too:)

4. I suggest you make database backups on a regualr basis

5. I think u should get a SQL Server book.

If you take suggestion 5 above, you vcan use this to help select what book(s).
Useful Reference Books for SQL Server Professionals faq183-3324

I suggest your first need is a book on SQL database admin followed closely by a book on performance tuning. A T-SQL programming book would not be amiss either if you are not familiar with T-SQL coding.

eramgarden
Thanks for your reply
1. "Clean database". I need to drop unused indexes and stuff like that
2. Seem to me you think I am complete idiot or unexperienced person. That's not correct. I started to work as business programmer 10 years ago. So I do know the differences between Test and Producton sites.
3. Thanks for those links. I'll try them

[thumbsup]

kel1981b-

"Seem to me you think I am complete idiot or unexperienced person"....absolutely not. I didnt think so at all. I always say that because i've seen production database used as test enviroment with tables named "Bubba", "Bubba1", etc.

At my current job, our production machine was sitting right on the edge of the table...go figure...

As for indexes, that sql-server-performance has good info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back