Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL PDC

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwaalen

MIS
Oct 11, 2002
US
Is it a bad idea to have a MS SQL server as a second PDC?

depends on how much SQL processes you plan on running. If you will have a very processor intesive SQL querying, analyzing, access, etc. then I would not have a SQL server as a Domain Controller but rather a stand alone resource server.

I am a newbie with SQL but the system has 512MB RAM and 1GHz Processor. Its got a very simple database server about 10 users but later this year we're putting a bigger database on this server and well be upgrading the memory.
I just want to make sure I wont cause any problems with SQL if I create it as a PDC?

It is not recommended that SQL run as a PDC. SQL is very computer intensive. You are running 1 processor and to add in DC queries and such would not be advised.

Cliff, CCNA/MCSE/MCSA 2000
Network Administrator

Another factor to take into consideration is the extra security issues caused by running SQL on a PDC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back