Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL on mainframe ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomi

Programmer
Nov 19, 2001
US
Hi,

I would like to know :
Is there any version of SQL Server that runs on a main frame ?

Thanks
Tomi

I do not beleive so. Though I may be wrong.

Thanks

J. Kusch

What kind of mainframe ? AS/400 has SQL, but it's not really a mainframe

-Any kind of mainframe

Thats a new info for me that SQL Server can run in AS/400.

Thanks Jay & Home
Tomi

If you mean "SQL Server" the product from Microsoft also known as "Microsoft SQL Server 2000" or its earlier versions, then no you can not run SQL Server on a mainfram.

However, there are many types of products that could be referred to as a "SQL Server". "SQL Server" has in recent years become synonymous with "Microsoft SQL Server" however, it also can refer to any of a number of relational database products that are accessable through SQL syntax.

If you are just looking for a relational database that is accessable via SQL and can run on a mainframe, there are a few products to choose from. I am no expert in mainframes, so I will not attempt to list them here. However, I will say that SQL Server will not work on a traditional mainframe server. It will only run on a Microsoft platform that, through the miracle of clustering, can provide the same sort of performance and load capacity as a traditional mainframe.

Hope This Helps,
Scott

Microsoft SQL Server runs on Windows platforms only. For IBM mainframes you can run Oracle/Os390/zOS [not recommended as DB2 is better suited], or ,Oracle, DB2 or MySQL on a Linux partition on a mainframe....

________________________________________________________________________________
If you do not like change, get out of the IT business...

Hi,

Thank you all for the Input.My doubts are cleared

Thanks
Tomi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back