Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Matching Query Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

cojiro

MIS
Mar 20, 2003
US
I have two tables from unrelated systems. The only common field for the tables is an amount field. I would like to return a result set of which amounts match, without repeating any match. For example:

Table A Table B
ID Amount ID Amount
---------------- ------------------
1 50.00 1 25.00
2 25.00 2 25.00
3 50.00 3 50.00
4 75.00 4 100.00
5 150.00 5 75.00

Desired Return Set:
A.ID A.Amount B.ID B.Amount
--------------------------------
1 50.00 3 50.00
2 25.00 1 25.00
4 75.00 5 75.00

I can't think of a clean way to do this with SQL. It would be nice if I could. So is this possible, or am I going to have to write a program for this?

Thanks for your help.

All you need is an inner join. And, to make it match your desired output, pull the min([ID]) instead of all [ID]s:
Code:
[COLOR=green]--declare the temp tables
[/color][COLOR=blue]declare[/color] @arr [COLOR=blue]table[/color] ([ID] [COLOR=blue]tinyint[/color], Amount [COLOR=blue]decimal[/color](5,2))
[COLOR=blue]declare[/color] @tee [COLOR=blue]table[/color] ([ID] [COLOR=blue]tinyint[/color], Amount [COLOR=blue]decimal[/color](5,2))

[COLOR=green]--populate first table
[/color][COLOR=blue]insert[/color] [COLOR=blue]into[/color] @arr
[COLOR=blue]select[/color] 1, 50 union
[COLOR=blue]select[/color] 2, 25 union
[COLOR=blue]select[/color] 3, 50 union
[COLOR=blue]select[/color] 4, 75 union
[COLOR=blue]select[/color] 5, 150

[COLOR=green]--populate second table
[/color][COLOR=blue]insert[/color] [COLOR=blue]into[/color] @tee
[COLOR=blue]select[/color] 1, 25 union
[COLOR=blue]select[/color] 2, 25 union
[COLOR=blue]select[/color] 3, 50 union
[COLOR=blue]select[/color] 4, 100 union
[COLOR=blue]select[/color] 5, 75

[COLOR=green]--double check the contents
[/color][COLOR=blue]select[/color] * [COLOR=blue]from[/color] @arr
[COLOR=blue]select[/color] * [COLOR=blue]from[/color] @tee

[COLOR=green]--find the matches
[/color][COLOR=blue]select[/color] [COLOR=#FF00FF]min[/color](a.[ID]), 
   a.Amount,
   [COLOR=#FF00FF]min[/color](b.[ID]),
   b.Amount
[COLOR=blue]from[/color] @arr a
   [COLOR=blue]inner[/color] [COLOR=blue]join[/color] @tee b
   [COLOR=blue]on[/color] a.Amount = b.Amount
[COLOR=blue]group[/color] [COLOR=blue]by[/color] a.Amount, b.Amount
[COLOR=blue]order[/color] [COLOR=blue]by[/color] [COLOR=#FF00FF]min[/color](a.[ID])

-kaht

Lisa, if you don't like your job you don't strike. You just go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson
[small]<P> <B> <P> <B> <P> <B> <P> <B> <P> <B> <P> <B> <P> <B> <P> <B> <P> <B> <P> <B> <P> <B> <P> <B> <P> <B> <P> <.</B> bites again.[/small]

In your example, you don't want to know that you have two $50.00 amounts in Table A and two $25.00 amounts in Table B?
It seems to me that you would want to know that.

A better question is, what exactly is this result set supposed to mean?

It seems to me you might be trying to get square data from a round table.

Good Luck,

Alex

[small]----signature below----[/small]
Now you can go where the people are one!
Now you can go where they get things done!

kaht,
That method does work for the data set mentioned above, but the problem comes in a situation where there are 2 or more similar totals in both tables. I would like to return a row for each successful match, rather than just one.

tcsbiz/AlexCuse,
The reason why i have these requirements is because of this business reason: the amounts from table A are from a bank that doesn't have our customer information, where table B is the result of a customer account being updated (with these bank amounts). So this is more a less a reseach tool to see which bank amounts were succefully applied to a customer account. This type of matching wouldn't be perfect, but it would be a starting point for research.

This is a super bad idea. In fact... it's the worst idea I've ever heard.

Please, please, please don't tell me it's for my bank? Please.

There is nothing more sacred in a database than the integrity of the data. What you are (apparently) trying to do is fit a round table in a square peg. It just doesn't work.

-George

"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

Yeah, I know this is a bad idea, but sometimes you have to work with what you're given. Thank you all for your help.

I get that. I really do. But sometimes you have to stand up and say, "I can't do that based on the data I am given". In this case, that would be the right thing to do.

-George

"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back