Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Mail Requirements? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgoodman00

Programmer
Jan 23, 2001
According to the help file:
SQL Mail requires a post office connection

Can SQL mail be used with a POP mail account, or does it need to be connected to an exchange server?

If it can be used with POP accounts what needs to be done? I setup a mail profile to use on of our POP accounts & tested it, but it didnt work. I then modified the profile to connnect to an exchange server & it did work. Trouble is, the exchange server is not in the production environment, so I need to work out if we need exchange in production, in order to use this feature...

James Goodman MCP

Yup, was about to self-answer my question. It would appear that it is supported, but it doesnt function perfectly. We use Outlook 2002 which seems to cause 'a whole world of hurt'. SQL Agent can send messages perfectly, but if I try to send messages using xp_sendmail they get stuck in the Inbox(!). Microsofts answer to this is to leave the outlook client running. I have, & it still does. Thanks MS...

James Goodman MCP

I had the same problem and also had to leave the client running. I was able to set an option for outlook to send mail every 1 minute. That way nothing gets stuck in the inbox.

I always set that. Strangely, if I actually look in Outlook the message is indeed stuck in Inbox. If I try manually sending & receiving nothing happens. It would appear the only way I can get them to send is to physically open the message & press send. Then it is send with no problems...

James Goodman MCP

you may want to try outlook 2k. i dont have any of those issues with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back