Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Mail - MAPI Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

swoodring

Programmer
Dec 7, 2000
US
I'm trying to get sql mail up and running. I am able to get the service started. But when I go under SQL Mail/Properties and test the profile that I created it comes back with the following error. Error 22030 a MAPI error(error 273) occurred. Unable to get the default MAPI Message store due to MAPI error. the information store could not be opened. I am running sql server 7.0. I have set up a profile under the exchange. If I bring up outlook on the server I can send and receive messages. I have the both the mssqlserver and the sqlserveragent running under the same account. If I go under operators and do a test on one of the operators I get the following message. The sqlmail session is not running but I sit it running under enterprise manager. We are using the outlook. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Check that the accounts for SQL Aagent and Server in Services. Make sure that they are what you think they are. Also check the name of the profile when you are testing - sometimes the name is cutoff. Also, there are some articles on the MS SQL Server website specific to Outlook and Messenger. They should help. I configured SQL mail to run with a Linux mail server and Outlook. Works fine.

One thing I thought of not sure if its affecting it or not. Unfortunatately when the server was set up they have it running off of the computer domain(PRFDSS) instead of our network domain(performance) which is were are e-mail is. Not sure if this is affecting it at all or not. But I am able to have outlook up and send/retrieve mail under the prfdss domain so I don't really think this is an issue. When we run sql under the performance domain our scheduled jobs just hang thats why we are using the prfdss domain. Not sure what was done with the initial install but I'm thinking maybe they installed it under the prfdss domain and thats why it hangs. I tried to do a sql mail test under the performance domain but got the same errors so thats why I don't think its a domain issue. I was thinking maybe of trying to de-install outlook and re-install it and see if that makes any difference.

Stacy

So did this all get fixed?

I am getting the same error message.

I am trying to get SQL Mail to send through Windows Messaging to Notes, the MAPI part works fine and we have sent mail - even logged in under the services account but when I try and use SQL mail I cannot see any of the profiles I have set up.

Guido

nope never fixed. We've came to the conclusion that its because when sql server was originally installed it was intalled under the computer name prfdss instead of under our domain - performance and because of that we have to run sql server under the prfdss. We orginally didn't set up sql server we had a consulting company do it. I took a sql server admin course and in talking with my instructor she said that in order to use sql mail you must be running under the mail domain or have trust between the domains. And since prfdss isn't set up as a domain thats why we are having problems. We are planning on merging the prfdss into the performance domain and at that point hopefully it will work.

:)

After banging my head against the wall over this for two weeks now we finally bit the bullet and called Microsoft support, 24 hours later I now have MAPI Mail working with SQL Server 7 sending mail through MAPI to Lotus Notes.

I had been trying to start SQL Mail with the login that starts SQL Server, unfortunately this was a service account and can't start SQL Mail. When we created a new account to start SQL Mail the service started fine.

Now I have to convince the Application I started this whole process for to work with SQL Mail but at least the service has started.

We actually got the sql mail service running but we still get a mapi error when we try to test it. And I believe its because it running under the computer name prfdss versus the domain performance which is where our eimail domain is. I beleive if we merge prfdss to performance it should work then. But I've never done this. We'll have to bring in our conultants that we use for network stuff to help us out on this. OR we have to make prfdss its own domain and have a 2 way trust between the 2. Thats what I was told when I took my sql server admin class. Glad to here you got it working. Its a real benefit - you can set up alerts to warn you of certain things and can send completion or failure messages for scheduled jobs. Thanks for the update.

Stacy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back