Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL LOGS & EXCHANGE LOGS WON'T CLEAR 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

doglet

MIS
Sep 5, 2002
AU
I am using BEX 8.6 & I have set the backup job to flush all logs for both SQL & EXCHANGE. However, they are not clearing them?
What do I need to do?
I have installed the SQL & Exchange components on the server but they do not clear after a full or incremental backup?

Hi,

We had a similar problem where our Exchange logs were not being cleared. We were running Exchange 2000 on a 2000 server and BE on an NT box.

The fix was to install BE on a Windows 2000 server. Bottom line is: Exchange 2000 must be backed up from a Windows 2000 server with BE installed.

Lou

In SQL Server, the transaction logs DO NOT truncate unless they have been 1) backed up or 2) a TRUNCATE command has been given.

A log backup is different from FULL or INCREMENTAL.

Also, check to see what the setting is on the SQL Server itself. Is it set for autoshrink? (right click on the database, select properties, go to Options, make sure Auto Shrink is checked.

Backup Exec is probably sending the TRUNCATE command, but if the database isn't set for autoshrink, the space will not be reclaimed.

-SQLBill

I had the same problem for Exchange. This next step will sound nuts, I know (I argued the point w/Veritas prior to performing the step).

1. On the Exchange server, run a full backup of your Exchange IS using NTBackup, which will flush the logs.

After I did that, BE had no problem flushing Exchange logs from that point forward.

The explanation I got was BE is very sensitive/finicky about Exchange logs and if BE sees any logs that are out of sequence or do not look right (no, I didn't get a good explanation of what BE thinks a bad log is), then BE will flat out refuse to flush the logs from that point on.

Another reason the above is a good step....if NTBackup fails to flush the logs, you got real problems brother and need to get Microsoft on the horn ASAP.

Good luck! Cheers!

We also had to do what Qdog stated above as one of our steps.

Lou

I have been having a hard time with Veritas turning up the nose at my exchange logs as well... i saw the post that recommended backing up with NTBackup, This is a great site, will visit often and offer what I can ;)
Thanks,
Schemamasta

Thanks. You were right, after doing a FULL backup, it cleared the logs & we're Ok now.
Thanks a lot guys for all your help on this.
Much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back