Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL*Loader INFILE using environment variable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nshen

Programmer
May 14, 2002
US
Hi! I will like to replace the hardcoded data file path by an environment variable in my SQL*Loader control file, something like:

LOAD DATA
INFILE "%GOLDPATH%\GoldData.txt"

or
LOAD DATA
INFILE %GOLDPATH%"\GoldData.txt"

or
LOAD DATA
INFILE %GOLDPATH%\GoldData.txt

But I got the same error from SQL*Loader in all above cases:
SQL*Loader-350: Syntax error at line 2.
Illegal combination of non-alphanumeric characters

Then I copied the control file over to the source directory and tried to invoke the control file as %GOLDPATH%\GoldData.ctl; now SQL*Loader complained it could not open the source file due to file-not-found. Apparently SQL*Loader has to be invoked from the location where the control file resides.

I went through the SQL*Loader manual and METALINK site but did not find any reference to use environment variable in the INFILE clause. Has anybody done it?

Thanks in advance!
Regards, Nancy

I dont know if it is possible, I suggest rather to use a shell script wich print its result in the control file, using the environment variables. You may call the sqlldr command in the same shell script, after closing the ctrl file.

Not sure if I understand it correctly:
Did you mean something like :
1) placing the control file and data file in the same %GOLDPATH% directory
2) in the script/batch file, first cd to %GOLDPATH%, then invoke sqlldr from there?

That was my last alternative. I was hoping to keep Oracle specific control files out of that %GOLDPATH% directory, where we stored all the data files to be imported to various RDBMS.
Thanks!
Regards, Nancy

You can have a place holder in your 'master' control file, which will be replaced with the actual file name by the invoking script as in:

sed s/!!IN_FILE_NAME!!/$file/g master.ctl > $ctl_ctl
$ORACLE_HOME/bin/sqlldr control=$ctl_file userid=user/password@db

Or you can specify the input file as a parameter to the sqlldr utility, as in:

$ORACLE_HOME/bin/sqlldr control=$ctl_file userid=user/password@db data=%GOLDPATH%/GoldData.txt

Regards,
Dan

Oh! Yah! I can pass the file name with the environment variable when calling sqlldr! [2thumbsup]
Thank you very much for this reminder, Dan!

Regards, Nancy

Hi Nshen,
Have you got your problem solved? I have the same problems that I need to get resolved. I need to pass the file name from sqlldr commend line to control file so I can insert it into my table.
Do you have any suggestions?
Also, do you happen to know if I can calculate two fields in a flat file and insert the result into table in by using the control file???
Anyone has any suggestions???
NEED YOUR HELP!!!!
Regards,
Helen

No, I finally had to resolve to making duplicated copies of import data files into Oracle specific directory and placed them together with batch command and SQL*Loader control files.
Regards, Nancy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back