Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL*Loader Control File Generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmarden

Programmer
Mar 30, 2001
GB
Does anyone know of a SQL*Loader Control File generator which is available for download.

I'm particularly lazy and can't be bothered to write the control files everytime I get a new flat file to load. I'd like to point the code generator to the flat file & recieving table and make it generate the correct control file.

Any ideas?

Well, the problem is that your flat file will have to have a description of how the data is laid out so that the sql loader control file generator would know how to map the flat data into the target table. Which means....you would have to write a control file for the control file generator so that you wouldn't have to go through the trouble of writing a control file for SQL Loader.

Flat files come in a few pretty standard flavors as far as data layout is concerned. why don't you archive your control files as you write them with descriptive names that describe the data layout of the flat file and then reuse them with a little editing? After a few repititions you will have a library of control files that you can reuse efficiently.

You may get some ideas from the case studies at:

Are you really particularly lazy or do you just strive to be efficient?

Lazy = disgusting attribute for DBA - get fired soon.

Driven to efficiency = very pleasing attribute for DBA - have job longevity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back