Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL License?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nowayout

Programmer
Feb 25, 2003
US
Hi all,

I don;t know about this stuff at all? do i need licenses for each user who logs in to database, and do i need to have license for who uses client tool only and also for logical databases?

thanks...

You have two licensing options for SQL Server 2000.

Per processor
You buy a single license for each processor on the server and then can have unlimited users connecting to it.

Per seat
You need a seperate license for each device that connects to the server.

I think the point at which per-processor licensing becomes more economical is about 20-25 users. I'm at home at the moment so haven't got a link to the Microsoft pages - I'm sure someone else can provide some for you though. --James

I agree. Per processor becomes more economical than per set at around 25 client licenses. This can vary somewhat depending on your software suppplier.

If you will have internet users - that is users connecting to your database via the Internet - you must buy Per Processor licensing. And you must license all the physical processors on the server. If you want to get the best answer for your question read faq183-874 and faq183-3179.
Terry L. Broadbent - DBA
SQL Server Page:

I do have a related question...

Does it matter what version of licensing I get for the server OS? I already know I will need to buy Per Processor licensing for SQL Server because of the Internet users stipulation that tlbroadbent brought up above.

I also understand that to use SQL Server Standard and Enterprise edition you must have a server OS to install it on. This means I will be getting Windows 2000 Server, but under the Windows 2000 server they only license it by the CAL... ???

So I'm assuming SQL Server needs Per Processor and Windows 2000 Server does not care about Internet users. W2k Server just cares about the people using terminal services, the people who are logged into SQL server through enterprise manager, logged in the computer locally and so forth?

Andrew

Hi JamesLean,

I understand but did not get the part per seat liceincing, I have two database server SQL 2K , and i have other users that are connecting to database directly throught the accounting application and other inhouse application they are like in amount of hundreds. so what do i need.. in matter of licenses

thanks.

so that means

i need to get the license for SQL Server 2000
and then get license for all the user getting connect using application also. I am confuse there that if the user is getting connected through the application like coda the accounting software app. do i need licenses for them too to connect to database. (server)?????

If you puchase Per Seat licenses, every client that connects to SQL Server must have a client license. This is in addition to the Server license.

If you purchase Per Processor licensing then an unlimited number of clients can connect to SQL Server. There are no extra charges for clients licenses.

Botom line, if you have more than about 25 users, Per Processor licensing is more economical. If you want to get the best answer for your question read faq183-874 and faq183-3179.
Terry L. Broadbent - DBA
SQL Server Page:

i have about six processor al together with two SQL DB Server so do i need to get six processor lincensing or i should get Two SQL Server Lincense would be fine?

Thanks

If you have hundreds of users, buy per processor licenses. You'll have to buy 6 becuase you have 6 processors on the two servers.

If you were to buy per seat licenses, you would have to buy 2 server licenses and hundreds of client licenses. This is not economical.

If you want to get the best answer for your question read faq183-874 and faq183-3179.
Terry L. Broadbent - DBA
SQL Server Page:

I have users a lot. and some of them are connecting to database using application does that count as cliet user also and do i need linsence for them too, who uses inhouse applicatoin to connect to the server.?

Thanks for the help.

Each of those clients needs a license event if they don't connect directly to SQL Server. Read the licensing information directly from Microsoft.

Server/Per-Seat (CAL)

Multiplexing: Using Middleware, Transaction Servers, and Multi-Tiered Architecture

How to Buy SQL Server (Explains each type of licensng.)

If you want to get the best answer for your question read faq183-874 and faq183-3179.
Terry L. Broadbent - DBA
SQL Server Page:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back