Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL JOIN FIELD NAME 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

compucop

Technical User
Sep 24, 2002
US
Hi All. I have utilized ADODB for a recordset and used a inner join to combine two tables.

rs.open "select table1*,table2* from table1 where table1.tableid = table2.tableid.. you get the drift.

How do i refer to the joined field name through code. WHen i try to use RS!table1.tableid it gives me an error. Is there a way to refer to the joined field name. Thanks for any help it is greatly appreciated.

A few options:

[tt]rs![table2.ID]
rs.Fields("table2.ID")
rs.Fields(n)[/tt]

Where n is the ordinal position of the field.

Thanx Remou, I already tried all those options. When I try to refer to the joined field (Primary Key). I get the run time error 3265. Item Cannot be found in the collection corresponding to the requested name or ordinal.

I am attempting to fill a listview and wanted to use the joined field name for reference on the item click event. But I cannot populate the listview with the joined field value. I have success with all other fields that from the tables that are joined, the only exception is the joined field value. Thanks again.

Have you tried (debug) printing all the field names?

PS It is usually better to list the fields to include in a query.

That did it Remou Your the Man. it was RS.field("table2.tableid") .... It works like a charm. Should have posted sooner. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back