Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL in VBA syntax problem?? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghobbit

Technical User
Dec 1, 2002
NZ
Hi

I'm having a problem with the output of my SQL query but I dont know if its a syntax problem or whether I've got it totally wrong - I was hoping someone could have a look at it and perhaps tell me where I'm going wrong

I have a table with four fields - 3 of which are text (reqno, type, barcode) and the fourth a number field (period)

I have a form on which I have set up a text box (Reqsearch) and two combo boxes (Typesearch and Yearsearch). I want the user to be able to type in text into Reqsearch and then select type and period. The query is run by a button and the output is sent to another text box called barcode.

The syntax to do this is

Private Sub Command14_Click()
Dim strSQL As String

strSQL = "SELECT DISTINCT tblRecall.Barcode FROM tblRecall WHERE tblRecall.Reqno = '" & Reqsearch & "' AND '" & Typesearch & "' AND '" & Yearsearch & "';"
Barcode.RowSource = strSQL

End Sub

This works fine except in that it'll return all matching reqno and types selected but it returns them for all years i.e. its like its paid no attention to the third criteria and given me the year selected. If I type in 'A1234' into the Reqsearch box, select 'Blocks' from the Typesearch combobox and select the '1997' in the yearsearch combo box, I get all the barcodes which match 'A1234' and 'Blocks' but for years 1997 through to 2005.

I know number fields dont have a single quote and I have removed it so it read only

" & Yearsearch & "

but I got the same result. I decided to keep the period field as a number and not date as I only need the year and thought a number would do just as well and keep things simple. I dont know what else to try

Could someone point me in the right direction

many thanks

Steve

Perhaps this ?
strSQL = "SELECT DISTINCT Barcode FROM tblRecall WHERE Reqno='" & Reqsearch & "' AND Type='" & Typesearch & "' AND Period=" & Yearsearch

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Hi

Many thanks for your quick response - works very nicely now.

So even though the select statement starts with a quotation, it doesnt have to end with one or a semicolon for that matter?

steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back