Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL for SMS

Status
Not open for further replies.

avputnam

IS-IT--Management
Oct 23, 2003
US
I apologize for the newbie question. Will MS SQL 2005 express edition work with SMS? What is the recommend edition of SQL?

I learned that MS SQL 7.0 SP3 or later; MS SQL 2000 SP3a or later, and SQL Server 2005 (Yukon)are compatible for SMS 2003. However, I have a hard time finding which edition of the SQL versions above work/do not work with SMS 2003 SP2

I should state up front that I've not specifically tried this, so some guess work is involved ;)

I think it should work, but tha's the short and probably wrong answer. Wrong in the sense that it's highly unlikely any production network is going to find this edition sufficient - for instance, it lacks reporting services and full-text searches. Perhaps for testing in a lab, but not in the "real-world".

Minimum would be Standard Edition.

Hope this was of some help.

DrRoyston,

Thank you for advice. At this point, we decided that we need to go with the standard edition. I am still unclear on which SQL licensing we need to choose: per user/device or per processor.

Thank you again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back