Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Expressions/Functions

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdander

Programmer
Apr 11, 2001
US
Can't I use native SQL functions from my RDMS in a report? I am trying to do this using the SQL Expression editor and keep getting errors, they are not recognized as valid functions. This works easily in Infomaker.

I can even do this in Access using a pass-through query.

The SQL Expression Editor shows (in the function tree)
the available functions for your specific DBMS and driver setup.

Can you see the function you are using in the
function tree?

Cheers,
- Ido

ixm7@psu.edu

I have since discovered a Crystal Decisions technical paper on this topic.

It says you can only use the functions they have chosen to hard code into CR (as long as those functions are also available in the database vendor's ODBC driver).

As it is, it is a very limited list. Nearly half of the functions I have available in the RDMS and ODBC driver are not available. Infomaker lets me use whatever functions are in the ODBC driver, not just the ones they have chosen to hard code into the application.

One option is to create a VIEW in your database
and use that as the data source for your report.

Another option is to use Crystal SQL Designer to
create a direct query and use it as the data source for your report.

Cheers,
- Ido

ixm7@psu.edu

Bdandeer,

I have never seen that white paper. You don't have a link to it or a file name, do you?

Another options is to use the Crystal SQL designer and run the report off of the QRY file. Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
Public classes and individual training.
Guide to using Crystal in VB
tek@kenhamady.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back