Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sql Expression Fields in CR for Visual Studio 2003 .Net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manch

Programmer
Jun 12, 2001
US
I would like to use a sql expression field, but can not find how to access the sql expression editor. I am using CR for Visual Studio .Net 2003. There is no Sql Expression Fields listed in my fields pane. I also do not see anything on the two toolbars included. I do not see any Crystal reports menus available where I could select this.

Are sql expression fields included in this version of CR? If so, any help accessing the editor would be greatly appreciated.

Manch

Which version of CR r u using?.

U have a facility where in u can access the sql expression from Field Explorer Option in CR .Scroll down to SQL Expression Fields and highlight it. Click New.
The SQL Expression Name dialog box appears.

May be from there u can take the lead!!!

Hope this help

If you're connecting to an Access database, and not using ODBC, SQL Expressions aren't an option.

-dave

sam2601,

I am using the version of CR that is bundled with Visual Studio .Net 2003. From what I can see this version does not have a version number, but rather is just considered a special version for .Net.

In my Field explorer I have only the following options:
Database Fields
Formula Fields
Parameter Fields
Group Name Fields
Running Total Fields
Special Fields
Unbound Fields

There is nothing to scroll, these are the only options. I looked under special fields to see if the option was there, and it isn't. I looked on the CR website and they list Sql Expressions as an option in the .Net version. There is nothing on the two toolbars that are added to the IDE. There is not a CR menu added to the IDE. I am guessing the CR website is incorrect, it does not seem to be included in this version.

Thanks for the reply!
Manch

Vidru,
I am connecting to SQL Server using the SQL SERVER data provider in VS .Net 2003. Thanks for the info though, it is useful to know.

Manch

Manch,

You might want to check with the VB.Net forum on this one. I had CR for .Net 2003 installed for about an hour. I had to get rid of it because it was conflicting with my regular install of Crystal.

-dave

May be u want to try using the formula field as a sql expression field and use it in your report!!!

vidru, sam2601

I will check the VB.Net forum and I will try using a formula field as a sql expression. Thanks to the both of you for you replies.

Manch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back