Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pushkin

Programmer
May 28, 2002
BE
Can anybody tell me where I can find a list of sql errors with the needed explanation?
I need the info for sql error 920

Thanks in advance

Pushkin,

There are multiple options available for tracking down Oracle error mesages. Among the options are:

1) Documentation (including "Oracle Error Messages and Codes") should reside on db install CDs.
2) Oracle installations on Unix machines have a (2-stars-out-of-five) on-line facility for error-message descriptions. From the o/s prompt, in your case, type:
Code:
oerr ORA 920
The results are: error message confirmation, cause, and action. The reason I rate it "2-out-of-5" is because many of the error messages are without cause and action.
3) If you have Metalink, you can search by error number itself.
4) Copy and paste your erroneous code and error message(s) here on Tek-Tips, and we'll respond with the problem and the remedy.

Cheers,

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA @ 17:55 (10May04) UTC (aka "GMT" and "Zulu"), 10:55 (10May04) Mountain Time)

You can also run the following one line of PL/SQL to get the explanation of a SQL error:

exec dbms_output.put_line('==> '||sqlerrm( &errno ) );

DEV> exec dbms_output.put_line('==> '||sqlerrm( &errno ) );
Enter value for errno: 100
old 1: begin dbms_output.put_line('==> '||sqlerrm( &errno ) ); end;

new 1: begin dbms_output.put_line('==> '||sqlerrm( 100 ) ); end;

==> ORA-01403: no data found

PL/SQL procedure successfully completed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back