Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Error E8601

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrmark68

MIS
May 3, 2002
US
Ever since my boss change the SA password for this one SQL server I back up with the ARCserve2000 SQL agent. I'm getting the following error message:

E8601 Failed to connect agent. (AGENT=dbasql70, EC=28)

The strange part I don't understand is that I have update the SQL agent with the new password and still having a problem. I know the password is good since I can expand the server with the sql databases and see all the databases when I'm on the backup screen.

Gets a little stranger since I'm having a problem backing up these databases on this server when I continue to use GFS rotation that I set up. So I created a 2nd backup job to backup these sql database and I have NO problem backing up these database with the new backup job.

Why am I having a problem when using the GFS method but not when I use the new backup job.

Can anyone shed some light on this problem I'm having.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Just to let you know that normally you don't need a password for the sa login. This is a generic username for SQL it means system administrator. try doing the backup again and right click on the sql database select security, type in sa for username and donot put in any password. Tell me how you get on.

Cheers

When you are modifying the job, are you clicking on the traffic light icon to make sure that the job is resubmitted?

Fritz4000...Yes I'm clicking on the traffic light to re-submit the job.

Poochie...I blieve when you install SQL the SA password is blank but since we change it for security reason. That's why I need to put a password on it. Everything was working fine until my boss change the SA password again.

If anyone else seem this problem....Please let me know what I might need to do to fix this problem I'm having.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Have you reinstalled the agent? During the install of the agent you are prompted for the sa password (assuming you are using mixed mode security). I believe it may be encrypted someplace in the registry and that can be causing the issue.

Fritz4000...I will give that a try but I'm still little confused why I am able to do a backup when I don't use the GFS rotation.

This morning I submitted a new backup job and it ran with no problems.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back