Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Development Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellferret

Programmer
Mar 15, 2001
GB
I am working on a freeware application which is basically a version of the SQL Enterprise Manager (without the bugs)specifically put together for programmers.

It already has options such as comparing databases, and automatically generating basic Stored Procedures.

What would *you* want to see in such an application?

Or in fact would you want to see such an application?
HF

Hi, HF. I ended up coding something similar in VFP for Oracle. Take a look at TOAD for some ideas of good features (I ended up writing my own for Oracle because TOAD got too expensive).

Are you planning on using ODBC or DB-LIB? Robert Bradley
Sr. DBA, some big company
cheap prints and oil paintings:

I'm using a combination of ADO and SQL-DMO in VB, depending on what gives the best performance for the specific task.

It's going pretty well, I'm a bit stumped on highlighting SQL syntax without slowing everything down to a turd's pace, maybe using a control made on C++ would speed it up?

HF

Hello HF,

A feature I wouldn't mind seeing is returning the last x rows when you right click to open a table in addition to the top x. Obivously you are often interested in if your latest INSERT/UPDATE worked.

QTRL+Z to undo the manual change I made that corrupted a table, quite frankly, would be a godsend to idiots like myself the world over. Also any help with dates would be fantastic, but I don't know if its place would be in the Enterprise Manager.

Are you making a list for interested parties/beta-tester type people?

Gags

How about a decent view of all the indexes in a database. You can view them in EM tables & indexes but if you have a lot you get fed up clicking next! It would be useful to be able to rename them , or even better the option of automatic naming!
i.e.

you could have CL prefixed when you create a clustered index.

Oh yeah, and it should make my toast to golden perfection :-9

I'm looking into making a friendly little Index manager in the application. I'm definately gonna do gags suggestions.

It's shaping up already. I've pulled in another programmer to give me a hand, and the website should be up soon (will contain screen shots, news, info).

It's going to be called SQuirreL.
HF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back