Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Default Login?

Status
Not open for further replies.

robWhitz

MIS
Oct 23, 2001
SG
Hi guys,

I executed the stored procedure 'xp_loginconfig' in the Master Database. It shows that the default login for the database is 'guest'. This is a security concern, as allowing 'guest' is as good as allowing annonymous access.

A couple of questions here:-
- Can I delete the 'guest' account in SQL Server?
- How can I change the default login to another account?

Would appreciate if someone can respond to my queries. I have searched the MS website, but can't seem to find the answers. Thanks!!

Hi

Here is some info on the Guest account:

guest User
The guest user account allows a login without a user account to access a database. A login assumes the identity of the guest user when both of the following conditions are met:

The login has access to an instance of Microsoft® SQL Server™ but does not have access to the database through his or her own user account.

The database contains a guest user account.
Permissions can be applied to the guest user as if it were any other user account. The guest user can be deleted and added to all databases except master and tempdb, where it must always exist. By default, a guest user account does not exist in newly created databases.

For example, to add a guest user account to a database named Accounts, run the following code in SQL Query Analyzer:

USE Accounts
GO
EXECUTE sp_grantdbaccess guest

-----

Therefore you can remove the Guest account from all your other databases with the following cmd:

Use Accounts
GO
EXEC sp_revokedbaccess guest

Another thing the guest users is defaulted to teh public dbrole, so if public doesn't have permissions on objects the guest user can't do to much damage.

Hope this helps

John

Hi John,

Thanks for your reply.

But just 2 questions:-
- If I were to remove guest from all other databases except master and tempdb, it does not resolve the issue on the default login. Can I change it?
- If I were to revoke guest from accessing master, what are the implications?

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back