Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Database Structure Maintenance for 40 locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott2S

Technical User
Oct 27, 2000
US
I help administer about 40 remote SQL 6.5 servers. As our application goes through some enhancements or upgrades, we occationally need to make table structure changes (i.e. additional tables or fields to tables) to the database before a new software release can be rolled out.

I have had a hard time keeping track of what revision the database structure is at each location. Does anyone know of any 3rd party software that compares databases to a known "master" database and then gives the option to make the updates to the remote site?

I use Embarcadero Softwares DB Artisan Change Manager to do manage this type of changes. It isn't perfect but it is the best I have found so fare. It isn't cheap though. I think I got it for 2,500$ when they were having a sale.

Wow, thanks. Looked at their web site and it looks like what I need.

What do you do about keeping static tables up to date accross sites? My deffinition of a static table is a table that the user can not modify data. It contains data referenced by the front end application. It is the data inside that I need to keep up to date. For example version X of the front end may use 5 'types' of a device referenced in this static table, but in version Y we added one more type for a total of 6 - I need to update that newer entry accross all servers.

scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back