Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

smil3y

IS-IT--Management
Jan 8, 2004
AU
I am using VB 6 on XP and Crystal 8.5. My application has been successfully using an ODBC connection but I now find I need to redesign to connect to an SQL server based database.

I have been reading all the info I can find and it looks to me like I need to create a Field Definition File.

The forum provides some information but has left me wondering. One article stated that if I go to 'Database Fields' on the report select ADD Database then select SQL Table button - then I can create Field Definitions.

I do not get this option. However if I select 'More Data Sources', I get an option 'Active Data (Field Definitions Only).

Is this the correct option?
Are there ant samples available that provide further guidance?

What does "using an ODBC connection but I now find I need to redesign to connect to an SQL server based database" mean to you?

SQL Server can be connected to via ODBC, and it's probably the most common means. Second would probably be OLE DB, which is the suggested means by Microsoft.

Did you try to connect via ODBC?

And you must realize that CR 8.5 is quite old now, and if you're going to write any applications to use it, make sure that you use the RDC, even that will likely prove a throw away as everything is web based these days.

-k

You are correct - I am actually using the ODBC connection to connect to the SQL server. What I meant, was I find I now need redesign to allow the user to connect to the server they want.

I do realise CR8.5 is old - my next step is updating to .NET - wont that be fun.

Thanks for your reply. In the mantime (until .NET) which is best Active Date (Field Definitions Only) or Active Data (RDO)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back