Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL can this statement work

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickywall

Programmer
Sep 2, 2002
GB
Below is the field structure of my database table 'myTable'

ID (autonumber)
Title (text)
Featured (text)
DateandTime (date/time)

The field featured will either hold the value Y or N

I would like to execute an SQL statement which selects firstly all the records that have a Y in the Featured field - ordered by DateandTime DESC, and then go on and select all the rest of the records and ORDER by DateandTime DESC

Is this possible based on the set up of the table.
Thanks.

Try this:

SEELCT ID, Title, Featured, DateandTime FROM myTable
ORDER BY Featured DESC, DateandTime DESC

-L

It doesn't work...
I guess you can't do an ORDER BY statement on a field that either holds the value Y or N

is that right?

Then try this...

create two queries..

qry1

SELECT SEELCT ID, Title, Featured, DateandTime FROM myTable WHERE Featured ='Y' ORDER BY DateandTime DESC

qry2

SELECT SEELCT ID, Title, Featured, DateandTime FROM myTable WHERE Featured ='N' ORDER BY DateandTime DESC

Then do a union query...

SELECT * from qry1
UNION
SELECT * fromqry2

-L

mickywall

how did it not work? Did it show an error or were the results not in the order you needed? what order did they appear in that case?

Tony
________________________________________________________________________________

My guess is that they probably just showd up in the wrong order. The responses posted so far assumed (as I would have) that the 'Y' and 'N' examples were in a varchar/text/etc field. If this is in actuality a yes/No access field then you will likely need to order ascending, ie without the DESC. Thats just a guess though, as I don't remember if Access resolves boolean true/yes/etc to -1 or 1 (false is 0).

-T

barcode_1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back