Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL backup strategy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 21, 2002
US
I've got NT4 server with SQL 2000 SP3 running.

I've got ArcServe 9.0 (build 2020) with SQL agent loaded.

I know that with Exchange you have to skip certain directories and let the Exchange agent backup the files.

Is SQL the same way?

Can someone point me to a web page (MS TechNet, etc.) that helps with the setup of SQL backups?

Thanks,

Russell

Most customers will put a filter inplace to filter out \mssql\data.

You MAY also want to schedule a WEEKLY or MONTHLY cold backup of the entire server, controlling all of the application/DB related services via a pre/post jobs, assuming you are allowed weekly/monthly downtime.

I think that when using the SQL DB Agent the Cleint Agent should automaticly skip these files.

The *.mdf and *.ldf files in the MSSQL data are automatically skipped as soon as you install the SQl agent.

We just use SQL's own backup to backup those enssential databases to the hard disk and use Arcserve to backup those SQL backuped files. Works great and save $$$ for the SQL agent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back